The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Problems w/Boarding Stable (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/problems-w-boarding-stable-46659/)

twh 01-31-2010 11:17 PM

Problems w/Boarding Stable

I board my horse at the barn where I take lessons.

Today I took my horse into the indoor ring, where my instructor and another boarder had set up an obstacle course which included a tarp.

When I tried to send my horse over the tarp, he flipped out completely, started running off in all directions in a panic. I lost my seat and slipped off, and let go of him, and he made a mad dash to the other end of the ring.

My instructor, who had just gotten on her horse and had seen the whole thing, proceeded to dismount, and disappear. The other boarder was the only one who tried to handle the situation at all.

This doesn't seem to me to be professional for the instructor (who is also the owner of the barn). My mom would like to move my horse to another boarding facility, and I agree with her. There has been a problem with my horse's feeding: yesterday they flat out forgot to give him lunch, and today they just left the bucket of feed right in front of is stall in the dark. Nobody was around, and I wound up being the one to put it in his bucket. I almost missed it.

Opinions? Do you think what my instructor did was proper? Do you think I should relocate my horse?

charlicata 01-31-2010 11:25 PM

In my opinion...no, it was not proper and yes, get him outta there! To not help someone when you actually see them thrown from their horse is horrible!!!!! And I'm sorry, but if you're paying them to make sure that your horse is fed and taken care of, and they're not fulfilling their end of the bargain; they don't need to be in that line of business.

Good luck in your search for a place.

BurningAmber520 02-01-2010 12:05 AM

I agree, leave! That does not seem like a good situation at all! You need to do what's best for you and your horse!

Good Luck!!

kchfuller 02-01-2010 12:18 AM

I moved from a place like that ... they wouldn't feed my mare what i asked- they would either feed her WAY to much or practically nothing. Then they would put new shavings on top of her poop and pee rather then clean it... so i was cleaning her stall every day on my own.

I am paying a little more where i am now but it is SO worth it to know that my horses are being taken care of ...

Go look at other places and find a place where you know is right :D

Alwaysbehind 02-01-2010 09:50 AM

The feeding thing and the leaving the ring thing are two totally different issues.

I would be upset about feed that is included in my contract is not given.

The leaving the ring thing might have more to do with the horse your trainer was riding. Could they have left the ring because she knew the horse she was on would react and cause even more of an issue?

mls 02-01-2010 10:40 AM

First - Are you sure saw what happened?

Second - Did you talk to her before complaining to strangers?

What is the normal course of action when there is an issue? I try to stay out of my boarders way unless they ask for help. If there is actual danger or injury, yes I step in to help right away. But a loose horse in an enclosed ring can be viewed as more of an embarrassment and the person wants the least attention possible. You'll see just as many posts from people who "OMG I was doing my own thing and this person jumped in to help without being asked, etc etc etc"

If you are thinking of leaving over this incident, I have to wonder what else is really going on.

twh 02-01-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 539322)
First - Are you sure saw what happened?

Second - Did you talk to her before complaining to strangers?

What is the normal course of action when there is an issue? I try to stay out of my boarders way unless they ask for help. If there is actual danger or injury, yes I step in to help right away. But a loose horse in an enclosed ring can be viewed as more of an embarrassment and the person wants the least attention possible. You'll see just as many posts from people who "OMG I was doing my own thing and this person jumped in to help without being asked, etc etc etc"

If you are thinking of leaving over this incident, I have to wonder what else is really going on.

She saw what happened, all right.

You seem to have forgotten that she is also my INSTRUCTOR. Last time I checked, instructors are supposed to show at least a little interest if something happens to one of their students. She didn't so much as ask if I was okay: she just left.

I am not "complaining": I am asking for advice, also because of this feeding issue. Obviously I don't trust her very much, or I wouldn't be asking. I didn't talk to her: she flat out disappeared from the barn.

twh 02-01-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 539305)
The feeding thing and the leaving the ring thing are two totally different issues.

I would be upset about feed that is included in my contract is not given.

The leaving the ring thing might have more to do with the horse your trainer was riding. Could they have left the ring because she knew the horse she was on would react and cause even more of an issue?

Actually, she was on her own horse, and my horse ran to the other end of the ring, away from all the other horses in the ring. Another lady (whose horse had also spooked at the same tarp), didn't leave and tried to help. I can't understand how the barn owner would have been more worried about her horse spooking than one of the boarders.

eventerdrew 02-01-2010 11:32 AM

As for her leaving the ring: She may have been on a horse that couldn't handle the situation. I don't know the horse or rider but that is usually why people leave in a situation like that.

As for the feeding: Get out of there. I had a horse in full event training at a barn a couple summers ago that was not getting fed the appropriate amounts and she got ribby. There is absolutely no excuse for not feeding a horse. That is not tolerable.

Alwaysbehind 02-01-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twh (Post 539365)
I can't understand how the barn owner would have been more worried about her horse spooking than one of the boarders.

Stop and think for a second.

If her horse is freaking out because your horse is loose what good is she to anyone? Is she not putting more people in danger?

I could continue listing reasons but I think you get the point.

And I have to agree with MLS on this one. I think most BOs try to mind their own business unless asked. Even being your trainer does not mean she is fair game to give you input ever second of every day.

The feeding thing I think you need to sit down with the BO and ask what is going on. Get in writing what is agreed upon and go from there.