The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Join up and Lungeing HELP!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/join-up-lungeing-help-4674/)

HorsesAreForever 12-09-2007 10:03 PM

Join up and Lungeing HELP!!

ok well my 12 yr old qh gelding I just bought was never lunged or done join up well i was wondering how i could teach my horse to lunge and do join up. Me and my horse all ready have a pretty good relation ship but i was wondering how to teach him to lunge and to join up. all replys are appricated! tysm

Abby 12-10-2007 12:16 AM

Well, as far as I know from what I've experienced personally, and what I've read in books about join up you don't "teach" your horse to join up, its something they do naturally.

Join up is when the horse not only accept you as a fellow herd member, seeing you as a non-predator, but respects you and follows your lead willingly. What should happen is once he gives in, he will usually turn an ear to you or show a want to come near you, and at that point you should stop driving him away and adopt a passive or non-threatening stance. He should approach you completely with a lowered head. You should not have to step in his direction or lean in order to touch him, he should be right smack-dab by you. Once that has been established, he should follow you, no matter which direction you go or however fast your going. That shows you have truly joined up.

If he hesitates or doesn't come completely in, your supposed to send him out again until he makes up his mind as to whether he wants to be with you, or by himself.

I'd suggest doing join up without a line attached, such as in a round pen or rope off an arena into a round pen. If your horse has minimal to no training as far as ground work goes, I'd be sure that all the gates are securely shut in the arena you are using if you don't have a round pen in case he breaks out of your make-shift pen because he doesn't understand cues or for whatever reason.

As for truly understanding and accomplishing a successful join-up I'd suggest visiting www.parelli.com and possibly look into ordered books and movies.

As for lunging, I'd suggest that minimally. Lunging gets boring and can put a lot of stress on the joints if over lunged. I'd suggest a maximum of about ten minutes of lunging a day from a personal point of view, while many other people I know would say 15 minutes and others would say a half hour. It all depends. I'd rather turn him loose in an arena after we join up to work him further instead of keeping a line on him all the time.

SamsonB 12-10-2007 07:21 AM

Jag hade samma problem med min häst men det löste sig till**** :lol:

Horse 8)

HorsesAreForever 12-10-2007 09:45 AM

thxs so much for your reply it helped a lot ill try join up with him this weekend

Spirithorse 12-10-2007 09:49 AM

Yea, Parelli has a DVD called Natural Attraction that you might benefit from, along with other DVD's.

Like Abby, I too would not suggest a lot of lunging. People have a tendency to drill things into the ground and horses get very bored and it just becomes mindless circles. Parelli has some great stuff for that, too.

HorsesAreForever 12-10-2007 10:20 AM

thxs how much is the parelli dvd's and stuff and to buy them do u need a credit card?? i dont have one so...neither does my mom >>.<<

HorsesAreForever 12-10-2007 01:20 PM

does anyone know??

Delregans Way 12-10-2007 03:43 PM

hmmm The starter pack is around $400 (Australia). Horseland use to sell them, but just recentally they took it off the self. Parille (the company) wanted to sell it first hand. I had a friend interested and she had to ring them up. I think there are mulitple ways to pay, either money transfer, credit card, money order etc. Hope that helped a little... :? :D

Spirithorse 12-10-2007 03:43 PM

The Natural Attraction DVD is about 40 some-odd bucks, as are the other DVDs in their new Success Series. You can check them out at www.parelli.com

The Levels packs are more pricey, and I would suggest looking on Ebay for those.

HorsesAreForever 12-10-2007 03:49 PM

ok ty