The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   My goat is ALWAYS chewing!? Do goats puke their food back up and...? (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/my-goat-always-chewing-do-goats-46746/)

Brianna6432 02-01-2010 08:14 PM

My goat is ALWAYS chewing!? Do goats puke their food back up and...?

My goat follows me to my back porch and while I'm inside he lies next to the door. He just lies there and watches the scenery. Ever so often he'll just start chewing! Even when he's not eating anything... Do all goats do this and why does he do it? Do goats puke their food back up...?
????

Indyhorse 02-01-2010 08:22 PM

Oh dear....that's about the worst way to look at it, but yes. Goats are ruminants, like cows, sheep, llamas, etc. This means they have several stomachs, or more technically, two stomachs that are broke up into two. Actually, I think goats only have three. I can't remember. :lol:

What you are seeing is your goat chewing his cud. When goats eat the first time, their food goes into the first stomach. At a later time when the goat is able to kick back and relax, yes, he brings it back up (pukes if you will) re-chews it, and it goes into the second stomach, where it mixes with a second set of digestive fluids and bacteria. Usually late in the afternoon/evening, he'll bring it up and chew again a third time before it goes into the finally stomach and from there on into the rest of his digestive track. As gross as it may seem on the outside, it's an incredibly efficient digestive system that helps the goat maximize the amount of nutrients he gets out of everything he eats - it's a shame our horses didn't develop anything so efficient.

Anyways, a goat sitting on your porch chewing his cud is a relaxed, happy goat. It's a good thing!

Just as a side note, to no doubt gross you out further....you know how llamas spit? Technically, they don't - as in they don't spit saliva at you, they bring up cud and spit it at you. So, I guess really, you haven't been spit on, you've been puked on. :shock:

themacpack 02-01-2010 08:23 PM

Yeah, what Indy said!

Brianna6432 02-01-2010 08:28 PM

Oh, thank you Indyhorse, I was so curious! I did not know that... Thanks!

themacpack 02-01-2010 08:30 PM

Out of curiosity, what has led you to become involved with goats?
I would strongly suggest finding yourself some great starter literature or a goat keeping mentor to help you build a good base of knowledge about the little creature you have chosen to take responsibility for.

Indyhorse 02-01-2010 08:35 PM

macpack is right - goats are hardy, and can handle a lot with little complaint, but they do have quirks that are specific to them and you probably should read up a little on their care. Dairy Goat Journal. | raising goats | goat business is a great magazine, but they also have a lot of information on their website about general care. Not sure if your goat is dairy, pygmy, boer, or a cross there in so some stuff may not apply. Goats are a lot of fun, and enjoy yours!