The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Buying my first horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/buying-my-first-horse-46794/)

Annaland13 02-02-2010 02:01 PM

Buying my first horse.

I'm going to be 18 at the end of June, and my parents have agreed to let me get a horse if I can pay for the main costs (boarding, basic vet and farrier bills, etc...) They will chip in for any unexpected costs. I'm taking college classes 20 minutes away from my house and I'm only there part time so I have A LOT of time on my hands. I have the PERFECT place to board my horse. I take lessons there and the owners are great. The only way I would be able to have a horse is if I could work off board. I haven't talked to the owners about this yet, but when I bring it up how should I go about it? What would be a good trade off? Obviously mucking but what else?

Speed Racer 02-02-2010 02:30 PM

The first thing you need to do is talk to the owners.

IF they're willing to let you board in exchange for work, they're the ones who will determine what you do, and when. You won't get to pick and choose.

You need to talke to them well in advance of your horse purchase, so you should approach them now.

However, don't be surprised if they don't jump at your offer. People make money from lessons and boarding, not by letting boarders do barn work to keep their horse.

justsambam08 02-02-2010 02:43 PM

Besides mucking, theres turning horses in and out, fixing fences, maybe riding another boarders horse to keep them in shape. You can throw the morning and evening hay and feed, and what ever else needs to be fixed, cleaned, etc etc! Offer to clean and condition peoples tack for them.

Just explain your situation to the BO, and he/she should be okay with it, assuming they already don't have help. I'm assuming you already have a job, so why not just ask for one extra shift a week?

miney18 02-12-2011 02:40 PM

you also could give lessons and charge money to pay the board

justjump 02-12-2011 04:54 PM

BRAIDING! learn to braid, band, do tails etc! Braiding is an awesome way to make money!

Also, you could go to shows and offer grooming services? That would make money and friends!

But definitely talk to the BO first! Doing stalls, painting, working horses, grooming, feeding, lessons, clipping, etc. Whatever they ask or tell you to do!(:
Posted via Mobile Device

Poseidon 02-12-2011 05:29 PM

I work off board on the weekend so my BO can have weekends to go out of town. I
*muck 8 stalls
*feed the outdoor horses their flakes and grain
*turn the stalled horses outside if it's nice (if not, they go in the arena in pairs as their stalls are being cleaned),
*if they're outside, I prepare their evening grain/supplements and put it in their dishes so it's there when they get brought in
*Put their flakes of hay in stalls
*Bring in the horses on Sunday nights
*Prepare the grain/supplements for breakfast the next morning
*Feed the cats and dogs if needed.

Pretty basic stuff.

Grooming might work too. My barn's full of halter horses that are shown frequently when it's warm. I won't be around in the summer, but if the barn shows, they may need someone willing to give baths.

equiniphile 02-12-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miney18 (Post 926052)
you also could give lessons and charge money to pay the board

This would not work for several reasons, such as insurance, the OP's limited experience, and having to pay the barn for using it for lessons.