The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Strangles vaccinations (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/strangles-vaccinations-46907/)

~*~anebel~*~ 02-03-2010 02:40 PM

Strangles vaccinations

Opinions?
Fun stories?
I am going to a clinic at a barn which requires them. My horse has not ever had one, or been exposed to strangles so he is getting his done IN in a few days and then a booster in 3 weeks.

kitten_Val 02-03-2010 02:48 PM

I gave for 3 years in row while my mares were growing. I don't plan to give it this year though. Some barns in my area require that too.

Alwaysbehind 02-03-2010 03:17 PM

Fun stories? Are there fun stories associated with getting vaccines?

Gave it for years when my boy was boarded and we showed. He now lives in my backyard and we do not do much so the vet said no reason to continue giving it.

mls 02-03-2010 03:52 PM

Fun stories?

There is no such thing if you have to deal with strangles.

Sara 02-03-2010 09:30 PM

My youngster had a bad reaction to the strangles vaccine last year...3 day fever and we had to put all his hay up in a bag because his neck was incredibly sore. When anyone entered his stall he would hide in the corner to avoid being touched, I felt so bad for him. :? I'm still debating whether or not to try it again this year: my new place is right next door to a barn that I know has had outbreaks in the past (one while I was working there years ago). Strangles is absolutely disgusting to deal with, definitely no fun.

tealamutt 02-03-2010 10:30 PM

Fun story, depending on your sense of humor. Barn owner buys 25 intranasal vaccines, rolls her eyes as we try to explain how to give the vaccine, makes a remark to the effect of "I have owned a boarding facility for 20 years, I THINK I know how to give a vaccine". We try to tell her again, she leaves in a huff. Flash forward to panicked call from said BO. All the horses in the barn have broken with abscesses... yeah, I guess she didn't know the difference between the words "in the nose" and "in the muscle."

and even though it is a serious disease, I love nothing more than opening an abscess and seeing how many buckets I can fill with pus.

sillybunny11486 02-03-2010 10:44 PM

I alway give it. There have been too many outbreaks were I live. Horses can get it from people who are carrying it on them. You vet or farrier could inadvertantly give it to your horse. This is one of the vaccines that I always give. Just because you horse isnt out and about dosent mean they cant get it.

Indyhorse 02-03-2010 10:55 PM

I never give it. I vaccinate everything BUT strangles.

tealamutt 02-03-2010 11:03 PM

why not Indy?

sillybunny11486 02-03-2010 11:11 PM

I've never had a reaction from it. I do IM not IN though. I would rather spend $130 per horse for all my vaccines then leve it to chance. If the $15 for the shot turns into a waste of money, so be it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. And its much cheeper to just get the vaccine, then have to worry about a possibly more serious infection, because you didnt take precautions. (I mean the infection will probably be more sever w/o the exposure via vaccine.)