The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Help with saddle size! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/help-saddle-size-46942/)

horsea 02-03-2010 10:48 PM

Help with saddle size!

I have been using a barn saddle (I'm the only one that has ever used it) for like a year now and I've figured that I should get one of my own. It is a Wintec and I did measure it but I'm not sure how to convert inches into a tree size. The tree is 10 inches exactly; from front point to point is 5 inches exactly; and the gullet is 2 to 2.5 inches. I've looked on Wintec's site and searched for a chart but I just can't find what I need! Thanks for your help!

horsea 02-03-2010 11:38 PM

Can anyone tell me if 10 inches is narrow, med, etc?

luvs2ride1979 02-05-2010 07:58 AM

I have no idea where you measured to get 10". Normally, 4-5" is medium.

The new Wintecs come with a changable gullet system, so the tree size at the front doesn't matter much as you can swap out gullet plates to change the size.

However, Wintecs do not fit all horses. The shape of the front and the shape of the panels needs to match your horse. Some pictures of your school's saddle on your horse, no pad, lightly girthed, would help us determine if the saddle fits your horse. Take a side shot, a rear shot (stand on a stool if you need to), and a 3/4 front angle showing the WHOLE horse's shoulder (top to bottom). Make sure the horse is standing on level ground with its head up.

If you do not already have a horse, then I would advise against buying a saddle.

horsea 02-05-2010 05:23 PM

Thanks! That really helps! I measured from tree point to tree point like my instructor said, but also from the dot level, which is 3 inches. I know it fits him really well, I just don't want to buy the brown one from her. I would rather buy a new one that is black.