The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   A/P, Dressage, Western saddles and comfort/security (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/p-dressage-western-saddles-comfort-security-46952/)

rocky pony 02-04-2010 01:18 AM

A/P, Dressage, Western saddles and comfort/security

This is an idea that just struck me and I'd like some advice.

I've always ridden western and have more recently decided to learn to ride english. My original plan was to learn mostly jumping and some dressage, so naturally I purchased an A/P saddle (the now-old Wintec 500 model) and rode my last horse in it for awhile, then purchased a new horse and continued on. There have been all sorts of complications involving injuries that I won't go into, but my confidence level took a little bit of a hit and adjusting to the new horse (who is also a bit more forward and spirited than my last) has added to that issue.
Also, I've since decided to head more in the direction of dressage and no jumping.

What I'm finding, though, is that I'm just not feeling very secure in my A/P saddle and have been riding a lot more in the western saddle because of that. I'd really like to be able to ride in an english saddle, though, to get the feel for it and just get miles in the saddle.

Do you think that I would feel more secure if I sold my A/P saddle and bought a dressage saddle? Or would it not be that different? I really am still pretty new to the english world and everything..but I know the deepness of the seat and such makes a difference, I just don't know what to look for when it comes to that.

Here's a picture of my model of saddle for reference:
http://www.sellerielemay.com/english..._Wintec500.jpg

Thank you so much for your time. :-)

rocky pony 02-04-2010 03:36 AM

As a quick note, I would probably only be getting a Wintec dressage (500 unless there was a super great deal on another one) or other affordable synthetic models..I don't use leather but even without that I really can't afford anything higher than the price of the saddle I already have.

iridehorses 02-04-2010 06:47 AM

I went the other way ~20 years ago and found that you sit in a Western saddle but on an English. Even with the deeper seat of the dressage saddle, there is more security in a Western due to the inherent nature of the saddle and it's purpose.

Why not switch back to Western and add a night latch until you are more confident with the new horse?

luvs2ride1979 02-04-2010 09:09 AM

The Wintec 500 Dressage has the exact same seat as the AP 500. You would not feel any more secure in it. The Wintec Pro and Isabell models are more secure. Both are all equisuede and the Isabell model has a deeper, more secure seat shape.

I would keep riding in your western saddle until you have more confidence in yourself and your horse, then switch to your English saddle, AP or Dressage. Just take it slow when you switch, slowly building your confidence. It's only a mental issue. A western saddle isn't "really" much more safe than an English one. This is an issue I have to deal with as well...

rocky pony 02-04-2010 06:05 PM

Okay, thank you guys a ton =)