The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   BB Ranch in Manitoba? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/bb-ranch-manitoba-46967/)

kitten_Val 02-04-2010 10:10 AM

BB Ranch in Manitoba?

Just wondering if anyone heard about this place.... BB Quarter Horse Breeders in Manitoba And if so, could you please share?

MacabreMikolaj 02-04-2010 10:14 AM

Ironically, I live in Manitoba but I hadn't heard of them. Just one more ranch put out of business by the PMU nazis again though. So sad to see.

I'd kill to buy that property, geez louise.

kitten_Val 02-04-2010 12:32 PM

Actually they are in Alberta (I just checked the site). They relocated from Manitoba.

kitten_Val 02-04-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj (Post 542240)
Just one more ranch put out of business by the PMU nazis again though

What do you mean by that, Miko?

MacabreMikolaj 02-04-2010 12:55 PM

The website shows the property for sale in Manitoba. If you read the info, the PMU business enabled them to raise quality registered stock. Thanks to the screaming about PMU farms, Manitoba farmers were cut funding by something ridiculous like 60% of PMU farmers being cut off. I am friends with many of these individuals, and this is another example of a top notch facility that was raising quality animals, and using them for farming on the side put out of business.

I get touchy on the PMU subject, because it's just like PETA and slaughter. PETA went around to PMU farms practicing illegally and have made the world believe that every PMU farmer locks his mares in some filthy dark barns 24/7 and never lets them out. Almost every PMU farmer I know does his best to breed quality, registerable stock to ensure as many foals get sold as possible. Most PMU mares double as show horses and rarely spend more then half a day in the barn.

Anyway, terribly sorry, I went WAY off topic there. Why are you interested in them?

kitten_Val 02-04-2010 03:35 PM

Jemma came from that farm. I got her very cheap (because the owner in PA who bought her from there fall in bad situation), but I've heard the babies from there go for good money. But I can't find anything on Internet. So I was just wondering (no plans to sell her). :)

MacabreMikolaj 02-04-2010 03:53 PM

Well, I don't have any personal information on them but I'm browsing the webpage and they had 17 weanlings for sale in 2009 - and every single one of them have been sold already. In this economy, you absolutely must be producing decent stock if you are able to sell 17 weanling foals in a few months.

I think it's safe to say that if your mare came from their ranch, she's probably worth more then you sold her for. Typically websites that don't advertise prices tend to be more reputable - anyone breeding $500 foals wants them gone ASAP and wants everyone to know how cheap they are to have them gone fast.

They're also standing a stud that was sire of a 2009 AQHA World Champion. That's nothing to sneeze at!

kitten_Val 02-04-2010 04:32 PM

Thanks, Miko! Again, I have no plans to sell her or anything, just was curious because I've heard good things about the ranch from 2 people down here (and we are way far from there being in MD :-) ).