The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Finally! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/finally-47045/)

anrz 02-05-2010 09:38 AM

Finally!

Well, some of you may know that Thumper has really been hollowing out and avoiding the bit (probably my fault anyway haha). But yesterday i rode him bareback, and he was great! Sure, leg-yields off of my right leg need a ton of work, and he's still leaning in to the right, but he has finally really been accepting the bit. The only time he stuck his head in the air and trotted was when another rider was clucking to her horse and saying "canter". Poor Thumper thought it was for him, too! He gets nervous when that happens, so i just talked to him. The other riders think i'm crazy, haha. But at the trot i could really feel him pushing from his hind end. Sure, it wasn't perfectly consistent, but it's a start! He accepted the contact and tried to find it, and when i dropped my inside rein, he didn't change his head carriage or movement at all. We worked on lengthening the canter strides down the long side and compressing his strides on the short stride. Poor Thumper was so tired after! He's not accustomed to having to use himself properly :). if you read all of this, good job! And sorry for the absence of upper-case i's- the i key is broken on my laptop, and i have to copy/paste an i whenever i need to use one; that one just happens to be lower-case.

riccil0ve 02-05-2010 07:29 PM

Yay!! It's a lot of work, I have similar problems with my mare, but there are no words to describe how accomplished you feel when you can start overcoming stuff like that. =]

anrz 02-06-2010 08:16 PM

Thanks :). Yeah it feels great to really see some improvement, however small, after months of work!

flamingauburnmustang 02-07-2010 06:00 AM

Yay you! I'm glad you have finally gotten him to accept the contact. I'm still busy working on that with Night Heat...LOL :grin: