The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   my 7 month old colt (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/my-7-month-old-colt-47091/)

JumperDak15 02-05-2010 11:02 PM

my 7 month old colt

I just resuced Achilles and his mom. And Achilles was never introduced to water, since they had non at the place they were at. I have bottle fed water to him. And He isnt scared of the bucket or trough. I'm just worried that he wont ever get to know what drinking is.
I've never had this problem with rescuing a foal or horse.

Is there anything i can do?

Maverick101 02-06-2010 11:44 PM

Is he already weaned? If not he will catch on watching momma drink.

Is he housed w other horses? again He will learn to drink by watching. Just ensure that he is indeed taking in water. Some electrolytes in the bottle you give him will help keep him hydrated, but I don't see why he wouldn't catch on to drinking outta a bucket or trough

churumbeque 02-07-2010 12:05 PM

They have had to have had water or they wouldn't be alive. Foals drink at a young age and the mother has to be drinking or would be dead

Maverick101 02-07-2010 12:21 PM

I think she meant that the foal was still nursing and hadn't drank form a bucket or trough yet......the mare obviously was drinking

JumperDak15 02-08-2010 12:43 PM

he is still nursing...i wont wean him til he starts drinking water..moma still wants him to nurse..i am bottle feeding him water..hes out with his mom and my pony..they drink like crazy but he doesnt care and he sees 3 other of my horses who are in the paddock beside him drinking...

themacpack 02-08-2010 01:01 PM

As long as you continue to bottle feed him water, he will have no reason to drink from a bucket or trough - which means you are extending the issue rather than resolving it, no matter how well intentioned you are.

JumperDak15 02-11-2010 12:33 PM

reason why i am bottle feeding him water is because he isnt even going towards the bucket..he has NO interest...he needs water in order to gain weight...

GCSM16 02-11-2010 02:57 PM

maybe he is eatting snow

JumperDak15 02-12-2010 12:37 AM

Alrighty..hes not eating snow..horses can't live off of snow..
anyways, Today my dad said that he took a couple LARGE gulps of water, twice today. Which is great news. I gather my bottle feeding helped him get acustomed to the water, since he's never had any til i got him.

Maverick101 02-12-2010 01:29 AM

He wouldn't require water to gain weight....

And yes if he absolutely had too, he could live off eating snow (obviously not ideal, but it could be done)
you said he was still nursing so if he had a few chomps of snow here and there, yes that could hydrate and quench his thirst enough that he wasn't interested in drinking...so dont blow off someones suggestion as to why he may not be drinking so quickly :wink: People are only trying to help

But it sems he has started to drink so that is good news. So now you dont need to give him a bottle, as he needs to continue drinking on his own.