The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Advice needed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/advice-needed-47113/)

Bells 02-06-2010 02:46 AM

Advice needed

I've been tossing the idea around of riding around Australia to promote awareness about battery farming. I've just finished school and was planning to backpack around Europe, but have decided that this is far more worthwhile. My ultimate goal is for a law to be passed in Parliament to prevent battery farming, and I won't settle for second best. I know that you may be thinking that I'm being entirely unrealistic, or just plain stupid, but I want to leave this world knowing that I've made a difference for those who cannot speak for themselves. You'll only be wasting your time if you try to tell me differently.

Anyway, my problem is this: I have no idea of what official name I can give to my ride. All I've come up with so far is 'A Ride with a Reason', which speaks for itself... I need help!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, your ideas will be much appreciated!
Bells :)

CheyAut 02-06-2010 09:12 AM

WHAT is battery farming???

themacpack 02-06-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheyAut (Post 543980)
WHAT is battery farming???

Stop Battery Farming

Kayty 02-07-2010 06:11 AM

Well if you do a run through SA, I'll jump right in there with you.

speedy da fish 02-07-2010 06:23 AM

maybe the cause could be a little more broad, maybe animal right in general, i am a vegetarian and dont eat chicken either... but i dont know how much money you will raise for just the prevention of cruelty to chickens.
Maybe all cruel farming methods, like:
Slaughter bound horses being transported in double deckers
Sow cages- cages they keep female pigs in all their lives to pop out piglets untill they die.
Veal cages- calves kept in cages all their lives so they cant excersise and put on loads of weight for fatty meat.
Battery and barn kept chickens
etc...

Kayty 02-07-2010 06:26 AM

You're not going to completely stop all of these farming methods. That's what the RSPCA, WSPA etc have been trying to do for years on end. But you can certainly raise awareness, make people see the facts and whats happening. If there is no market for products derived from animals kept in these appalling conditions, then there is no money in it for the farmers to continue these methods of housing their stock

kevinshorses 02-07-2010 06:31 AM

I think you really need to do more research on the issue before dedicating your life to it. Rather than try to have something arbitrarily banned why don't you find a more humane way of raising chickens that is also economical? Profit has to wiegh in somewhere and people need to eat. I am much more concerned about the rising cost of food and the numbers of people in the world that go hungry than I am about the supposed mistreatment of chickens.

I have said it many times before but when there are no starving children and no human is living in misery then I will become the biggest animal rights activist that there is but untill then I will focus my efforts on my own kind.

peg4x4 02-07-2010 12:47 PM

How to say this---My daddy would say "You can't starve a profit out of anything" Find a more cost effective/kinder way to raise animals. Temple Grandan(sp?) Has done more to promote handleing cattle with less stress than anybody. She has autisum. By the way,if you have anything to do with PETA,understand they think rideing horses in any way whatsoever should be banned. Oh,check up on how many animals they have "saved"..any animal they have gotten their hands on have been put down to save it from slavery.
What I'm trying to say is find a better way to farm/ranch.

Bells 02-08-2010 03:33 AM

Thanks for your advice, guys :)
peg4X4, I considered involving PETA just to help with getting the message out there etc, but yes, there is the fact that they don't like horses being riden and also, unfortunately, a lot of people tend to laugh when you mention them. I say unfortunately because they could be taken seriously on such a serious issue if they tweaked a few of their... stranger... ideas.

kevinshorses, thankyou for your thoughts. I understand your thinking of putting your own species before all others, yet that is exactly why I am doing this; becuase people have very little concern for animals as they consider them less important. My own opinion is that all life, no matter how big or intelligent the form it hold, is precious. That's why I want to promote awareness for battery farming - just because humans are dying and suffering, it does not mean that we have to intentionally be cruel to others just because they are smaller than us. As for your idea on finding an alternative, kinder method of raising chickens - isn't that what 'free range' farms are for?

Kayty - that is exactly what I hope to acheive. I have no doubt that one long ride isn't going to shut down the million dollar battery farm industry overnight, but I want to do everything in my power to let people know exactly what they're funding.

speedydafish - Sorry, when I said 'battery farming' I meant all caged farming, not just chickens.

I haven't anywhere near fine-tuned my plans yet, and am currently writing letters to others who have done similar things for causes that they believe in, to get their advice. I'm also going to write to K Rudd shortly down the track and see what he has to say.

Again, thank you all for your input, and thank you to those who held their tongue :)

Anyone come up with a name yet? I'm still stuck :P

Bells 02-08-2010 03:35 AM

Sorry, I just realised in my last post that I seemed to be refering to chickens a lot... replace that word with 'animals'. And again, there is always the 'free-range' alternative to battery farming/cage farming in any situation.