The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Sheepskin saddle pads? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/sheepskin-saddle-pads-47159/)

ChristineNJ 02-06-2010 01:37 PM

Sheepskin saddle pads?

Anyone use sheepskin saddle pads? Would you recommend them for a dressage saddle or all purpose saddle??

MyBoyPuck 02-06-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristineNJ (Post 544181)
Anyone use sheepskin saddle pads? Would you recommend them for a dressage saddle or all purpose saddle??

I wouldn't use anything else. I LOVE sheepskin. It lets the horse's back breath, provides a nice cushion and most importantly it does not slip. I am notorious for riding with a loose girth. Even after a short sprint up a hill, the saddle pad stays in place. I have nothing bad to say about sheepskin.

luvmyperch 02-06-2010 08:01 PM

I use a Fleeceworks sheepskin shaped pad for my close contact saddle and I LOVE it! It's super soft, breathable, never slips, and looks fantastic. It provides plenty of padding and I still feel him through the pad & saddle. Definately worth the investment!

tealamutt 02-06-2010 08:45 PM

I got a sheepskin half pad and Tanner loves it. He's often a bit backsore and from the second I started using it, he was swinging a lot more and no more bucks when I ask for canter. Totally worth the money, make sure you get a good one!

Five Furlongs 02-06-2010 11:46 PM

I own a fleeceworks half pad and its lovely. It looks really great and everything but I only really use it for shows, and sometimes not even then. I feel like having just one saddlepad is enough because you are closer to the horses back. Of course there are exceptions to this like if your horse has back problems or something along the lines of that. The closer you are to the horse the better is my opinion.

~*~anebel~*~ 02-07-2010 11:39 AM

I don't use sheepskin because it pushes me away from the horse's back. With some horses with more of a sway to their back and a stiff stride, this can be a good thing, but for me and my horse it just provides a bigger launching pad.

Hoofprints in the Sand 02-08-2010 12:33 PM

They're great depending on the horse...but be careful. I started using mine on my stocky QH who has no withers, and it actually did more harm than good :-( It was too much cushion underneath the saddle and made a saddle that fit perfectly fine on her not fit at all. It ended up rubbing all the hair off on both sides under the panels!

I have since stopped using it and gone back to just a plain old AP saddle pad, and the hair is growing back now, no more rubbing. So definitley depends on the horse, some just don't need the extra cushion and it can actually cause fit issues with your saddle!

starlinestables 02-08-2010 02:54 PM

I agree with hoof prints. I was riding a boarder's arab mare and she had a giant fleeceworks pad. Round arab with no withers.. The saddle didn't fit well but it fit better with out the pad.

She was misbehaving for the boarder so I hopped on and as I ask for the canter she starts to rush. I ask for a circle with slight leg pressure as she tends to be overly sensitive.. she still over does it and the saddle slipped to the outside. I try to shake it over to the inside just as she decides to drop that inside should and OFF I go... onto my head.

If you have a narrow horse and a wide saddle it may help some as those things are HUGE. I like my thinline much better.

Maire995 02-08-2010 03:04 PM

Yes definatley but as hoof prints in the sand it depends on the horse but if the sheepskin pad doesnt work out try gel pads!

HeartMyOTTB 02-10-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maire995 (Post 546383)
Yes definatley but as hoof prints in the sand it depends on the horse but if the sheepskin pad doesnt work out try gel pads!

I use a a half pad with my TB and I like it. He has very high withers so the half pad is great. His saddle still fits well with the pad also. Just make sure your pulling the pads up into the gullet.

I have a gel pad as well. I use the gel pad because my horse is a little cold back and it helps absorb shock on his back. Is that what you're looking into a half pad for? For his back? If so, go with the gel pad! If you are just looking for a fluffy pad to compliment the fit of your saddle, go with the half pad!