The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Breed for beginner (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/breed-beginner-47175/)

Horse Dreamer 02-06-2010 05:13 PM

Breed for beginner

My kids 3&8 and myself are beginning to get into horses. We're taking lessons on horsemanship (grooming, caring, ect) right now. Jumped in way to soon and bought the wrong her for us (lesson learned). My kids are big for the ages and I'd like to get a small horse/large pony for all of us to learn on (13-14hh) What are your suggestions?

Mercedes 02-06-2010 05:50 PM

I think breed has less to do with, then quality of past training, experience and overall temperament. Having said that, there are breeds that tend to be more agreeable in general.

Quarter Horses are a nice choice. Some smaller draft crosses can be quite nice...sturdy and laidback. Appaloosas are usually suitable. Paints not so much...tend to be a bit too strong minded, but a Paint cross might work nicely. Standardbreds are idiot proof, but can be frustrating to retrain as suitable mounts...so if you go that way, you need to get one that doesn't have canter issues. There are lots of pony breed choices...that's a very one on one issue as a lot of ponies can be just brutal.

Again though, suggest that age, training and temperament be your first criteria.

Horse Dreamer 02-06-2010 05:57 PM

MY trainer said the same thing about the paints. I have really been thinking about a POA or welsh due to their smaller stature. My 3y/o is the size of an older 4y/o and my 8y/o is the size of a 12y/o so I want something stout but not to tall. Something that we can use for a while until we're ready to move up.

Gidji 02-06-2010 06:03 PM

I really wouldn't be too concerned about the breed just yet. I'd be more concerned about finding a horse with a good temperament. In my experience, you can normally find a nice quiet quarter horse and they tend to be great first horses. I also think warmbloods are lovely quiet horses, but I think they would be a bit too big for your children to handle at the moment. Just be aware, that there are exceptions to every breed and that you could find a nice quiet arab. Also, don't be put off if theres a quiet grade horse. Breed means nothing and you can find some amazing grade horses that do really well in competitions. Best of luck finding that perfect horse. :)

Indyhorse 02-06-2010 06:04 PM

Haflingers usually have easy, calm temperaments, (at least the ones around here do, but they are mostly amish bred) and are usually stout enough to carry an adult.

Mercedes 02-06-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horse Dreamer (Post 544381)
MY trainer said the same thing about the paints. I have really been thinking about a POA or welsh due to their smaller stature. My 3y/o is the size of an older 4y/o and my 8y/o is the size of a 12y/o so I want something stout but not to tall. Something that we can use for a while until we're ready to move up.

Yeah, your trainer and I are on the same page where Paints are concerned. I've known some tough minded horses, but the Paint breed seems to excel in this area. About the toughest nuts to crack.

I'm not as well versed in pony breeds, but I've always heard good things in general about the Welsh breed.

Horse Dreamer 02-06-2010 06:10 PM

I love the look of a haflinger.

Mercedes 02-06-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indyhorse (Post 544390)
Haflingers usually have easy, calm temperaments, (at least the ones around here do, but they are mostly amish bred) and are usually stout enough to carry an adult.

Yes! Tend to be a wonderful breed and definitely one to consider.

Gidji 02-06-2010 06:13 PM

Just remember too, that ponies can have a big attitude :) In my experience, most of the prissy little show ponies have a short man syndrome and always seem to think that they are the biggest, bossiest meanest horse around. But then again, you can find some perfectly behaved ponies too. Horses are just too complicated sometimes.

Horse Dreamer 02-06-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercedes (Post 544399)
Yeah, your trainer and I are on the same page where Paints are concerned. I've known some tough minded horses, but the Paint breed seems to excel in this area. About the toughest nuts to crack.

I'm not as well versed in pony breeds, but I've always heard good things in general about the Welsh breed.

Stubborness seems to be the BIG issue with my mare. She learned she could bully me and that was that. I'm doing better on the ground with taking charge, but I'm not confident enough in the saddle to try her out again. First and last ride on her she decided she was done and started acting up, so me not being confident she got her way and now she knows she can. I'm not willing to put the kids on her. They really want to ride. The lessons have kept them happy, but we've only road a few times so far. My trainer is all about care and horsemanship first. She says if you can't care for them properly you don't need to be on them. I agree.