The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Who rides a TB in a wintec? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/who-rides-tb-wintec-47193/)

My Beau 02-06-2010 08:35 PM

Who rides a TB in a wintec?

1 Attachment(s)
I have an older TB mare who I'm going to restart in the spring and have started the saddle hunt for her. Right now the wintecs (500 line) are appealing to me since they have the changeable gullets. She's older and I don't know how she's going to take a training so I don't necessarily want to spend a ton on a nicer saddle if this is going to be a short venture into "training land". And I had one when I first started riding but have since sold it :-(.

So, any of you ride a TB with high withers in a wintec? Any fitting problems? Of course I'll get the saddle on trial and make sure it fits her very well but I'm just looking for a place to start.

Not the greatest picture, but here are the withers I'm talking about:
Attachment 24467

horsea 02-06-2010 09:00 PM

I know some people don't like Wintecs but I love them! I use one on my Anglo-Arab and he is possibly the worst horse to fit in the world! He has really high withers, too, and the Wintec works awesome with them! Plus, if it gets dirty, you can just hose it down outside!

MyBoyPuck 02-06-2010 09:19 PM

I have a wintec dressage pro for my TB. Fits him very nicely. For an AP saddle, I ended up going with a Thorowgood only because I didn't feel well balanced in a the AP models. I agree that having adjustability is very important with TB's. Those shoulder do fill out very quickly once training resumes.

My Beau 02-06-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 544523)
I have a wintec dressage pro for my TB. Fits him very nicely. For an AP saddle, I ended up going with a Thorowgood only because I didn't feel well balanced in a the AP models. I agree that having adjustability is very important with TB's. Those shoulder do fill out very quickly once training resumes.

Huh, I'll have to check out the Thorowgoods too! What model did you end up with? I am looking for an AP for her, HIGHLY doubt we'll do any jumping, just intro/training dressage (but I don't want to be stuck in a dressage saddle, ya know?).... she's 17 and has been a broodmare for the past 6 years before she was given to me. I honestly have no idea when the last time she was ridden! So, yeah, the adjustability is important as she puts on muscle :)

My Beau 02-06-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsea (Post 544511)
I know some people don't like Wintecs but I love them! I use one on my Anglo-Arab and he is possibly the worst horse to fit in the world! He has really high withers, too, and the Wintec works awesome with them! Plus, if it gets dirty, you can just hose it down outside!

Good to know, I have a feeling she's going to be a challenge at first before she develops a topline. I had a wintec, but sold it when I got my pessoa (back when I only had 1 horse:wink:). Big mistake... now I don't sell anything!:lol:

MyBoyPuck 02-06-2010 09:41 PM

Thorowgood makes a model specifically for high withered horses. It is extremely narrow, so it can pinch if your horse gets too big in the shoulders. I think it now comes with adjustable gullets which will solve that problem. You can find Thorowgoods at Dover Saddlery under closeouts for $399 on a regular basis.

My Beau 02-06-2010 09:47 PM

That sounds awesome. There is a Dover 10 minutes from my house, I'll have to go get one on a trial when the weather gets better :)

Thanks for the reccommendations!

CecilliaB 02-07-2010 09:20 AM

I ride my TB in this saddle Wintec Close Contact Saddle Package - Statelinetack.com

I love it, not sure that he would be considered high withered but they are there and I have experienced no issues with it.

MIEventer 02-07-2010 10:00 AM

My Beau - becareful.

I only say that because, take my TB as an example. He has high withers, and pockets behind his shoulders, a weak topline and his back archs.

He has narrow withers, but a broad back. He has an arch as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../Nelson005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...s/100_1979.jpg

The Wintec 500 was NOT a good fit for him. The tree of the Wintec 500 All Purpose and the Dressage saddle is too strait. So when I put it on Nelson, it lay on Nelsons shoulders, and the back of the saddle made contact, but not the middle - there were pockets where I could slide my hand between the saddle and his back.

It bridged on him.

So be aware of that. I have not seen the Wintec Close Contact - but I have been told that the tree of that saddle is the same as the tree on the Collegiate CC models. I've been using a Collegiate Diploma and the tree shape on that saddle works will with Nelson's back shape.

Alot of the weight bearing of the saddle, also ended up on his shoulders.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ddleFit007.jpg

And due to that, I had a very difficult time building up those pockets.

So just be aware. I dislike the Wintec 500 A/P and Dressage model - I find they do not work well with TB back shapes for the majority.

LoveStory10 02-07-2010 10:01 AM

My schoolmaster Bishop's withers are quite high, I dont ride him in a Wintec, I dont even know what type of saddle I have, lets just say its a GP haha, but my friend Jess - Lee rides and jumps him in one :)