The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   training a green horse onto the bit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/training-green-horse-onto-bit-4720/)

jazzyrider 12-13-2007 12:43 AM

training a green horse onto the bit

i am starting to get to the point with my wb where i want to get him softened and onto the bit. ive never taught a horse to do it, only ridden ones who already do it quite naturally. how and where would i start? in laymans terms please ;) its not that im stupid and dont understand big words but sometimes its easier to get a new concept when its explained in an easy to understand way :)

Spirithorse 12-13-2007 12:57 AM

OHHHHH!!!!! I know this one!!! LOL! Okay, first thing I would suggest is getting a DOUBLE jointed snaffle like a KK snaffle or the JP by Korsteel Oval Mouth Copper Loose Ring snaffle. Reason being is that if you want to get the horse soft, a double jointed bit won't hit the roof of the horse's mouth when you use 2 reins, and it wont' collapse on the bars. Using a single jointed snaffle in the following exercise WILL NOT WORK. It'll just make your horse uncomfortable. :) Oh, and I use the JP bit b/c that's what Parelli suggests for this exercise.

Okay, so what you want to do is start at a halt. Start to comb the reins through your hands, in a hand-over-hand motion and let them slide through your hands. What you want her to do is reach for the bit. The more she resists, or if she doesn't reach with a soft combing feel, the more drag you put in the reins. When she reaches, release the reins completely and rub her. Then progress to the walk, and then the trot. DO NOT do this at the canter! When you are combing the reins, you want to be really fluid in your upper body, really move your shoulders and suck your sternum in. After she gets the idea, when she reaches for the bit still keep a nice, soft, flowing feel on the rein you have left. Let her stretch as low and for as long as she wants to.

Did that make sense? :)

jazzyrider 12-13-2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirithorse
OHHHHH!!!!! I know this one!!! LOL! Okay, first thing I would suggest is getting a DOUBLE jointed snaffle like a KK snaffle or the JP by Korsteel Oval Mouth Copper Loose Ring snaffle. Reason being is that if you want to get the horse soft, a double jointed bit won't hit the roof of the horse's mouth when you use 2 reins, and it wont' collapse on the bars. Using a single jointed snaffle in the following exercise WILL NOT WORK. It'll just make your horse uncomfortable. :) Oh, and I use the JP bit b/c that's what Parelli suggests for this exercise.

Okay, so what you want to do is start at a halt. Start to comb the reins through your hands, in a hand-over-hand motion and let them slide through your hands. What you want her to do is reach for the bit. The more she resists, or if she doesn't reach with a soft combing feel, the more drag you put in the reins. When she reaches, release the reins completely and rub her. Then progress to the walk, and then the trot. DO NOT do this at the canter! When you are combing the reins, you want to be really fluid in your upper body, really move your shoulders and suck your sternum in. After she gets the idea, when she reaches for the bit still keep a nice, soft, flowing feel on the rein you have left. Let her stretch as low and for as long as she wants to.

Did that make sense? :)

hmmm kinda lol the part that confuses me is the term 'comb'. i know what i comb is obviously lol but im not sure about the context it is being used in here :) im usually a visual person and sometimes struggle with picturing things as they are being explained if i cant see it. that makes it hard when talking on forum hey lol

Spirithorse 12-13-2007 01:18 AM

Okay, here are a couple pics of me showing the "combing the reins" technique.

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=Img_8167.jpg

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=Img_8168.jpg

jazzyrider 12-13-2007 01:21 AM

so essentially this is 'playing' with the bit to get the horse to take it???

Spirithorse 12-13-2007 09:59 AM

No, you aren't 'playing' with the bit. What the horse feels is a nice, rhythmic, steady feel on the reins, but the bit isn't moving. Since you are familiar with Parelli, this is like an extreme Friendly Game. Pat does this with colts when he first introduces the bit. The flowing action of you combing the reins can become very comforting to the horse, and it's A LOT better then holding just steady and driving them into the bit. You don't want to drive them, just set it up and the horse will find the answer.

jazzyrider 12-13-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirithorse
No, you aren't 'playing' with the bit. What the horse feels is a nice, rhythmic, steady feel on the reins, but the bit isn't moving. Since you are familiar with Parelli, this is like an extreme Friendly Game. Pat does this with colts when he first introduces the bit. The flowing action of you combing the reins can become very comforting to the horse, and it's A LOT better then holding just steady and driving them into the bit. You don't want to drive them, just set it up and the horse will find the answer.

ah ok! got it now :)

so, i do this at a standstill first and then walk and then trot?? or do i start from a walk?

i feel so stupid. my tb goes onto the bit without any asking and ive always kinda had push buttons horses who were already trained to do stuff. its different when you have to do it yourself :)

buckaroo2010 12-13-2007 06:42 PM

i would start him in some kind og snaffle

jazzyrider 12-13-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckaroo2010
i would start him in some kind og snaffle

he is already in a snaffle :)

Spirithorse 12-14-2007 12:25 AM

You will want to start from a halt. Reason being is that sometimes when they feel that pressure they will want to stop anyway, so set it up for success and start from the halt. When you finally do move on to walking, if she wants to stop at first, let her, keep combing the reins, then ask her to go again. Don't drive her with your seat.