The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Where can I find Big Lick TWHs for sale? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/where-can-i-find-big-lick-47277/)

CloudsMystique 02-07-2010 03:44 PM

Where can I find Big Lick TWHs for sale?

I want to rescue one and turn it into a trail horse, but I'm having a hard time finding sale ads for them...

I'm not ready to buy one this minute, but I want to get an idea of the average price.

I'm hoping to get a 2 or 3-year-old that has been started under saddle but hasn't been totally destroyed yet.

This is the only one I could find: Tennessee Walking Horse - Non-resident Horse - FAMOUS FABLE

Sunny06 02-07-2010 03:48 PM

It may be easier/more logical to go to a Big Lick barn and find one that hasn't been trained into one yet - the working Big Licks are hard to find because they are being showed and used and nobody wants to sell their show horses.

CloudsMystique 02-07-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny06 (Post 545354)
It may be easier/more logical to go to a Big Lick barn and find one that hasn't been trained into one yet - the working Big Licks are hard to find because they are being showed and used and nobody wants to sell their show horses.

Where are there BL barns? I couldn't even find any websites for them.

It's weird... with Saddlebreds, at least, most of the horses for sale are 3, 4, and 5-year-old prospects.

Sunny06 02-07-2010 03:56 PM

Tennessee, Tennessee, Tennessee! You may just want to take a few days off and cruise down around Shelbyville (the home of the Big Lick). Stop by at a barn and ask what they've got. The barns down there are huge, well-kept, and the horses are pampered. I have no doubt that they have staff there 24/7 (or the staff lives very near).

But like I said - it'll be hard to buy a showing, working BL - most likely they will be outrageously priced (afterall, they ARE show horses).

Jessabel 02-07-2010 03:57 PM

I can't imagine it being easy to find them. The Big Lick industry is generally pretty sneaky and sleazy and they don't usually mingle with the rest of the horse world (I've only had experience with the ones like that, however I doubt that all BL people are sketchy). From what I've gathered, they only do business inside their own realm. That's why you never see them in the normal classifieds or at regular shows and whatnot. You would probably have to go to Big Lick barns and ask around for horses for sale. A lot of those horses tend to be pricey, too.

CloudsMystique 02-07-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny06 (Post 545364)
Tennessee, Tennessee, Tennessee! You may just want to take a few days off and cruise down around Shelbyville (the home of the Big Lick). Stop by at a barn and ask what they've got. The barns down there are huge, well-kept, and the horses are pampered. I have no doubt that they have staff there 24/7 (or the staff lives very near).

But like I said - it'll be hard to buy a showing, working BL - most likely they will be outrageously priced (afterall, they ARE show horses).

That's a good idea. I'll do that. And that's another reason I want a young "prospect" - lower prices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessabel (Post 545367)
I can't imagine it being easy to find them. The Big Lick industry is generally pretty sneaky and sleazy and they don't usually mingle with the rest of the horse world. From what I've gathered, they only do business inside their own realm. That's why you never see them in the normal classifieds or at regular shows and whatnot. You would probably have to go to Big Lick barns and ask around for horses for sale. A lot of those horses tend to be pricey, too.

Yeah, I figured that and I've already planned out what I'm going to say to them. If they ask who my trainer is or what my plans are for the horse, I'm going to tell them the name of my old Saddlebred trainer (I trained with him for 10 years) and I'll tell them that he's a Saddlebred trainer but wants to get into showing TWHs. It sounds believable to me.

Found one! Magnolia Farms, Lewisburg, TN. - Tennessee Walking Horse

They don't have much for sale, though, and don't have prices listed.

Jolly Badger 02-08-2010 10:53 AM

I was just down at the Tattersall's sale in Lexington, KY and it includes padded horses.

This year was a little different, because there weren't many padded horses there. Usually the whole Saturday sale is for padded horses, but they changed the format and had flat-shod horses on Saturday as well because of so few padded ones.

I hope this is an indication that Big Lick is going out of style. . .

GaitedGuy 02-08-2010 05:13 PM

There are usually several sales around Shelbyville through the year. Waterfall Farms comes to mind as one of the big ones. I know they have a big sale before the Celebration. Anyway, you might have better luck at the sales, I don't think they really care who you are as long as you buy the horse. I think most of the no-name padded ones that go through are the ones that aren't really making it as a padded horse anyway so they just want to get rid of it.

BlackAmethyst 02-08-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly Badger (Post 546175)
I was just down at the Tattersall's sale in Lexington, KY and it includes padded horses.

This year was a little different, because there weren't many padded horses there. Usually the whole Saturday sale is for padded horses, but they changed the format and had flat-shod horses on Saturday as well because of so few padded ones.

I hope this is an indication that Big Lick is going out of style. . .

ME too!! My friend took some of there horses to that sale!

Indyhorse 02-08-2010 08:58 PM

I don't have anything to add to this thread, but I just had to comment - that first horse you posted? They said the horse was for sale because the owner was 80 - and I assume that's him on the horse in the picture - my word!!:shock::shock::shock: