The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Advice on Floating a 10month Colt. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/advice-floating-10month-colt-47317/)

WarregoAsylinn 02-07-2010 10:28 PM

Advice on Floating a 10month Colt.

Iv recently just brought an Andalusian x Thoroughbred 10month old Colt. He is still in the owners paddock atm, while i organise a Vet to Rob him of his manly hood :wink: (cut) & a paddock to put him out to for a year.
Iv had years of expirence with horses, but this is the first time iv floated a Colt (Not yet Weaned).
Just recently iv heard of some pretty horrific stories with floating foals for the first time... Someone said to float the foal with another horse (I can't remove the mare from the paddock with him, although i do have a quiet Quarter Horse i would trust to be in there with him).

Do you have any advice on Floating him for the first time?
Also, i have an Extended float (Length & Height), He would have alot of room in there... would that cause a problem?

He is well handled, leads, ties, can pick up feet etc... He just does the typical Colt thing (nipping, grabbing the lead etc).

Any Help would be much Appreciated! As you can probably tell, i am freaking out alittle haha.. :lol:

EveningShadows 02-07-2010 11:17 PM

I'm assuming by float, you mean to haul or trailer him? Personally, if taking the mare for a ride truely isn't an option, I think he'd do best to ride solo. Throwing a stranger in with him, even a calm stranger will only rock the boat. I'd leave him untied and try not to make him wait too long in the trailer before heading off...less time to think of something silly to try.

WarregoAsylinn 02-08-2010 01:33 AM

Hey, thanks for that..
Makes sense though.. I'll see if i can get him on by himself..
I was just reading other posts, oversea's you guys call Horse Floats 'trailers' - minor location miss-happ :lol:
Thank you again :-)

MacabreMikolaj 02-08-2010 07:25 AM

I personally believe that in times when you ARE able to have an older, quieter horse in the trailer, definately do it that way.

I've dealt with a few youngsters in my time, and they are almost always more willing, and a lot calmer if another horse is with them. And it makes sense - getting locked into a dark, moving box is obviously terrifying enough especially without another horse showing you it's ok.

When I worked at a Dressage barn, the owner actually used to steal my mare on me because she was such a good hauler (loaded well, loved going for rides) whenever she sold one of her foals. She said it always made it 10x easier having a laid back and calm horse along for the ride when hauling the first time.

Good luck!

CecilliaB 02-08-2010 08:14 AM

I have trailered two babies myself. My TB gelding when he was 8 months old in a stock trailer by himself untied and he did fine. This time with my 10 month old filly we trailered her loose again in a 2 horse slant. Both times have been nice easy hauls.

P.S. Congrats on your new baby! Post some pics when you can :)

Plains Drifter 02-08-2010 09:12 AM

I trailered my yearling and my weanling home, both alone each time and they both did just fine.

WarregoAsylinn 02-08-2010 06:18 PM

Wow, thanks heaps guys... :D
You've given me lots to think about.!

MacabreMikolaj: My Gelding (the quarter horse) has alot of confidence in the float (trailer), and he doesnt mind other horses.. We might try him alone first, see how he goes... if he doesnt look like he will be getting on we will take My Gelding with him... Its a big trip too... he lives about an hour away.. Thank you again :-)

CecilliaB: Thanks :-) Oh yes, dont you worry - I will have ooodles of pictures for everyones viewing :lol:

Plains Drifter: Did you tie them up in the float (tralier)?

Plains Drifter 02-08-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarregoAsylinn (Post 546586)
Wow, thanks heaps guys... :D
You've given me lots to think about.!
Plains Drifter: Did you tie them up in the float (tralier)?

No I didn't. I left them both untied when I brought them home. (One came home in May, the other came home in Sept/Oct.)

EveningShadows 02-09-2010 10:20 AM

Has your new guy ever been in a float? Might look into doing a bit of loading work before the trip...would make it a better experience for him and he'd be more willing to get in again if the need arose. Just in and out so there's no hesitation.

I trailered my Clyde/TB filly home alone when she was a yearling, untied and she barely moved. I would've loved to introduce the trailer to her beforehand but she wasn't even halter broke...we needed a chute to load her. Once inside though she was a little dancy until we started moving, then she was fine. There's always a way to load a horse, especially a youngster. They don't have experience with it, so no bad memories to invoke much fear. Yes it's new and kinda scary, but usually a couple people, a butt rope, and possibly some treats inside will usually get them in.

Plains Drifter 02-09-2010 10:45 AM

For my weanling, we just used her mother. We loaded her mother into the trailer and her baby (my Lyric) just jumped right in after her.

Lillie was a yearling when we loaded her. She was a bit of a pain to load. It was the average, "push her in, shove her in method". (not my ideal way to load.) As soon I got her home, I did clicker training and now she's a breeze to load.