The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bareback Issues (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bareback-issues-4732/)

horse_luver4e 12-13-2007 09:07 PM

Bareback Issues

I have recently been riding my mare bareback alot becuase of the weather and I've noticed that when ever I put my legs on her, she puts her ears back and somtimes trys to bite my leg. She also swishes her tail violetly after I put my leg on her. Whats with her?

buckaroo2010 12-13-2007 09:26 PM

how old is she?

horse_luver4e 12-13-2007 09:40 PM

shes 3

I Love Lane 12-13-2007 10:31 PM

she may just be overly sensitive to your touch whilst bareback. It is often hard for a young horse to understand why you are so much firmer in your grip on them when riding without a saddle, do you wear spurs?? If yes, maybe try her without them.

It comes back to the fight or flight instinct and IMO if you stick with it she should get used to it over time.

I wouldn't be to down hearted about it, from what you have said in other posts she is a sweet natured horse so it is probably mostly to do with her being young. :lol:

BluMagic 12-13-2007 10:38 PM

Could also be the pressure on her back. Squeeze down her spine. Locate any tenderness. If she's a young horse, she has a young body.....if that makes sense! :-)

horse_luver4e 12-13-2007 11:06 PM

no i don't wear spurs but ur right shes probly not used to it.

Solo 03-02-2009 04:55 PM

I agree with BluMagic, it could be because she is young her spine is tender. Do you know the test where you use your thumb and forefinger, one on either side of the spine, and run it from neck to tail? That can also help locate any tenderness.

My boy was also three when I got him. Sometimes I would hop on bareback to cool him off or if I just felt like going for a relaxing ride. At first he reacted very similar to your mare, he would move away as I went to get on, pin his ears, bite at my leg and switch his tail. As he has gotten older, he doesn't do that anymore. One thing to try would be to site slightly farther back. That helped Indy a lot.

Good luck with her :]

Oh, do you have a bareback pad? I'm not sure if that would help but it might help spread the pressure a little bit.