The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Does anyone weigh their hay? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/does-anyone-weigh-their-hay-47353/)

newhorsemom 02-08-2010 01:10 PM

Does anyone weigh their hay?

I recently heard that it's a good idea to weigh your hay before feeding to make sure that you are giving the appropriate amount - approx. 2% of horse body weight. Have you done this or heard of it before?

My Beau 02-08-2010 01:26 PM

Yes, you should do that. 2 flakes from one bale can be totally different from 2 flakes from another bale. But, once you've got a pretty good baseline you can grab and go.

I weigh when we get a new load of hay because flakes will be pretty much the same in all the bales because they're from the same supplier, same field, same equipment, etc.

iridehorses 02-08-2010 01:32 PM

I don't weigh my hay and try to have it for them at all times they are in the paddock (which I don't see as a problem) but I always weigh my feed.

Alwaysbehind 02-08-2010 02:12 PM

I do. Not always anymore. I fill the hay bag and hang it from the way cheap fish scale I bought at Walmart. Works great!

Maire995 02-08-2010 02:57 PM

i normally give my horse a wheelbarrow full of hay morning noon and night! although my horse was on the skinny side when i got him first so he needs building up

Scoutrider 02-08-2010 03:04 PM

I used to weigh my hay, but my arm "calibrated" pretty quickly so now I basically tell by feel when I've fed enough, if I'm not feeding free choice. I do weigh grain daily, though. Even within the same bag I find that a scoop from the top of the bag can weigh differently than a scoop from the bottom of the bag.

OdinsOwn 02-08-2010 03:53 PM

I've weighed hay in the past for exact numbers for pony club record books, but recently its more of a feel... Its pretty easy to get a general idea of bale weight and then from there I go by feel of individual flakes depending on the bale... However my horses get free choice hay most of the year so I don't always feed a specific amount anyway.

Solon 02-08-2010 03:55 PM

I don't. The bales we get are so varied I just been able to figure out by feel what my boy should be getting.

~*~anebel~*~ 02-08-2010 04:18 PM

I worked at a barn where hay was fed on the basis of weight. You eventually learn what a kilogram of hay feels like :P

luvs2ride1979 02-08-2010 06:01 PM

No, but I know how much our bales weigh. I feed according to that. If our bales weight 50-60 lbs (average for most grass hay around here), then I know I need to feed 1/2 a bale a day per horse for most of our horses (more for the bigger or more heavily worked horses).

I use round bales now though, so no need to weigh or figure weight. They're out in the pasture with free access to them. I need to work a few of my horses more though, as they eat more than they really need, lol.