The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   What are your opinions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-your-opinions-47393/)

paintluver 02-08-2010 08:36 PM

What are your opinions?

On this trainer.
As many of you know, I just got my mare Demi. She was beat by her old farrier so we are slowly getting her used to being a normal, calm horse around farriers.
But the other problem is that she is 7 and she has never even had a saddle blanket on her.
So I have been "Trainer shopping".
I had a few people show me this man.
His name is Jim, he is a natural horsemanship horse trainer.
Triple Spring Acres - Triple "H" Horse Training
My question is, does he look like a good trainer or am I just going into this with a closed mind?
Here are some e-mails I have gotten from him.
Yes I start horses. I prefer to start as finishing isn't as much fun!
Let me know if I can help you out.
I also do not mandate that you pay for a month. Usually ask that you pay for 2 weeks and come work with your horse see if your comfortable with where he/she is at with training. If you are, take her home. If not, we will schedule more.
All training paid upfront for at least 2 weeks and right now I have a special.
Pay for 3 weeks and get 4th free.

I will be able to ride her anywhere within a week. The second part would be ...will you be able to...well that will depend on your confidence and skill as a rider.

I use all natural horsemanship. No cowboying, no war bridles, mostly all pressure & release.

What do you think?
I like him, but I might just be not going into it with an open mind, I seem to do that a lot...

justsambam08 02-08-2010 08:39 PM

Go out and give him a visit. Maybe schedule the first one so you can get a tour and hear his script and whatnot, and then pop in on him unexpectedly because you have a "few more questions". Get a feel for him and his operation and then decide if its something that you want to do.

I would be concerned about the timelines he presented to you though. A calm quiet broken horse can't be achieved in two weeks, but thats just IMO

paintluver 02-08-2010 08:42 PM

^^That is what I was thinking, but all of his refrences seem really good.

justsambam08 02-08-2010 08:43 PM

Have you SEEN any of the reference horses? In person or on youtube?

paintluver 02-08-2010 08:46 PM

No, just on the bottom of the page I posted.

justsambam08 02-08-2010 08:48 PM

I would say email him and ask for some phone numbers or email addresses. Then contact those people and ask if you can come out and see the horse(s) he trained, or see them in action through video. Also ask how long their horses were there, if they've gone through any additional professional training. Because those "testimonials" are meant to look good. For all you know they could be 100% bullcrap.

paintluver 02-08-2010 08:51 PM

^Yeah, I guess that is true!
I will email him again and ask for some of his refrences.

EasyStepHorsemanship 02-08-2010 09:06 PM

The website sounds good and the testimonials sound good and the pictures make him look good.

And maybe he's the real deal. Maybe he's so good that he can make the 2 week claims. You never know...

That said, I'd want to be there at least the first week, every day to see how he gets from ground to saddle in that first week like he says he can do with ease.

Maybe he's the quiet calm type that can get the job done and that would be great. There are a lot of trainers who have a natural knack who can get further faster with horses than others. Anything is possible.

I think I'd follow the advice you've been given here,...check up personally through phone or better yet, in person with the past and present horses he'd trained or has in training.

If you like what you see and hear and want to go for the 2 week deal, then be there every day at least for the first week to watch him in action with your horse. What does he do that first week? Does he lay the horse down? If so, how? (some "nh" trainers lay the horse down first and foremost)

If he's going to do anything good, bad or ugly, it'll more than likely be in that first week.

kevinshorses 02-08-2010 11:35 PM

His tack looks like cheap junk and there are several pictures that show him riding a colt in a snaffle bit with a tie-down on. That screams bad trainer to me. I also have a pet peeve about people standing on horses and riding backwards and not giving the horse the respect it deserves. I would not take a horse to him.

GottaRide 02-09-2010 09:08 AM

I would check out more trainers before deciding on this one. I don't like some of what I see in the photos on the website posted. I would have huge safety concerns sending my horse to him.

I would suggest looking into this trainer: Jennifer Collman - Trainer, Instructor, Clinician
I don't know her or her work personally, but I have heard very good things about her.