The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   New drawing...critique? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/new-drawing-critique-47467/)

juniormylove 02-09-2010 04:24 PM

New drawing...critique?

I really do need to take another picture since I've redone the eye (take 5, hah) but i don't know where my camera is.

Anyways...here goes.

It's my first in a while, so don't be too harsh, please. Actually, scratch that. Be as harsh as you want. Just critique! hehe. If there are spots that look smudged or erased, they are. I was working on this in biology class and half of the head got smeared.

So far this whole thing was done with a B and 2B pencil, I believe.

And guess what - we schedule for next year and since I might FINALLY have a semester open, I might take an art class! See, I took an art class freshman year but it was 3D art. So really, next year could be my first ever REAL art class (aside from the marking period in 6th grade that hardly counted since I failed after I refused to draw a tree the way my teacher wanted me to). Up 'till now I've basically been self taught and it's holding me back (assuming that there's more talent in me). Could be exciting.

Sorry, I digress. The drawing? Ah yes, the drawing. Still far from finished, but I need new eyes for advice.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...x/SDC10100.jpg

Solon 02-09-2010 04:28 PM

Very nice! Is it an Arab? I'm not fond of that breed but I love the ones with really dished faces (Polish maybe?).

I think you've done good. Maybe add a little more shading along the top of the neck and along the side of the nose (just left of the nostril).

Good job!

ShutUpJoe 02-09-2010 04:53 PM

The neck is beautiful, the ears are perfect and the nose is wonderful. The eye is offset and not dark enough. It looks like you drew a mane in and changed your mind and tried to erase it. Other than that I think it's really good.

Mercedes 02-09-2010 05:06 PM

I don't like to critique art, for the simple reason that the result of creative expression is subjective. And since that expression comes from the soul, it seems unfair and unnecessary to judge.

So, I will tell you how your art makes me feel.

When looking at this Arabian, I feel a great sense of concentration, some tension and a touch of wariness, as if at any moment he may decide to turn tail and run.

Solon 02-09-2010 05:11 PM

I don't know, I think it looks like he is looking at someone that is bringing him something yummy to eat!

Ponni 02-09-2010 05:24 PM

good job. he looks very friendly. :)

RoxanneElizabeth 02-09-2010 06:37 PM

Pretty head, soft shading, great work!

juniormylove 02-09-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe (Post 547562)
The neck is beautiful, the ears are perfect and the nose is wonderful. The eye is offset and not dark enough. It looks like you drew a mane in and changed your mind and tried to erase it. Other than that I think it's really good.

funny story..that's where my hand rubbed across it and smudged it in school...I got frustrated with how messed up it got so I erased a large portion that got smudged and haven't drawn it back :oops:

Thank you everyone, for your kind words :)

Solon - I don't particularly like Arabs either, but I love to draw their necks. I don't know why, but I LOVE their necks.

Kayty 02-10-2010 06:32 PM

Very nice drawing, particularly for one drawn in class at school! You've got your proportions beautifully, so the only thing I will suggest is that you need to add more 'depth' in the shading. So the area's that have the darkest shadows, make them almost black, you need to spread the tones throughout your work so that it does not look weighted in one area. I tend to put the very dark points through sections of the ear, the eye, the nostril, mouth and often in small areas under the mane and jaw.

Just a little more fine details around the nose and the eye and you will have an EXCELLENT drawing on your hands.

No for the art class subject. You say not having lessons is holding you back. Well I can promise you that once you find your own style of work, having art classes will probably hold you back, not vice versa.
I tried to have art classes when I was about 12, and hated it. Then I did 2D art all through high school, and although I enjoyed trying out different mediums and techniques, I felt as though they were trying to shape my work into something it's not.

I pride myself on being a self taught artist, no body showed me how to draw, they simply showed me other mediums to try. But in the end, no body can really teach you art, they can simply guide you. Art is a very personal and emotional thing that cannot be forced. Once you find your own way, you will see what I mean ;)

Lunachick 02-10-2010 06:57 PM

I don't like critiqueing art as such, but you ould try being a bit looser, maybe getting a 5B or 6B pencil, and just relax a bit more.

Otherwise it's very good, you have all the shapes right, which is the hard bit!

It took me a lot of practice and experimentation to improve.