The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Tipperary VS. IRH Helmets? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/tipperary-vs-irh-helmets-47594/)

vivache 02-10-2010 07:43 PM

Tipperary VS. IRH Helmets?

I have found that my Troxel(Legacy Duratec Gold) really doesn't fit too well.. my head is too oval. It's time for a new one, and I've been looking at Tipperary and IRH.

I do plan on learning dressage soon. Apparently we're having a new instructor in the barn on Sundays, and she teaches dressage.

I have tried both Tip and IRH, and both are very comfy. However, if I decide that I want to compete in dressage after riding with this new instructor for a while, would a Tip be looked down upon? I'm not talking any high level competing. I'm not a competitive person.

MIEventer 02-10-2010 08:27 PM

The Tipperary Helmet is designed moreso for the Eventer. I personally, would go with a nice velvet IRH if I were focusing primarily on Dressage.

Now, I am an Eventer - I have both helmets. I use my Tipperary for CC and my velvet skunk IRH cap for Stadium and for Dressage.

I'd like to sell both and get a skull cap personally - but meh, I'm an Eventer :) What can I say :)

Mercedes 02-10-2010 08:30 PM

Safety should never be looked down upon. Go with the helmet that fits you best and is most comfortable. You can buy a velvet helmet cover for the Tipperary.

upnover 02-10-2010 08:39 PM

If both fit you well and both are comfortable for you... I'd go with the IRH. I love my Tipp but I think they look funny (we call them alien helmets) and the IRH will look more formal for shows, even the smaller ones.

vivache 02-10-2010 09:05 PM

International Pro Rider with Dial Fit System - Dover Saddlery. This is probably the helmet I'll go for. It's similar in price to the Troxel I bought two summers ago. The only thing I'm worried about is that I usually mark my helmet in some way, because my barn does trail rides and has a huge rack of helmets, and even though I take it home, if I hang it on Razz or Thunder's stall, it will still get snatched. I had to put duct tape on the top of my Troxel once I saw a mom screwing around with the harness and the adjusting in the back so it'd fit her kid!

Is there some way to 'customize' velvet helmets? Or would it be more worth it, oyu think, to shell out for the IRH with strips?

Sghorselover 02-10-2010 09:25 PM

I just got a IRH ATH series my self and love it.. I dint get the velvet but i got the micro fiber one and its great and you dont have to worry about getting it to dirty... For mine i had to get a medium one way it to stick like foam sticky strips in the rim and they really help!!!! they dont budge! I used to have a crappy little blue cammo troxel and this is a really nice helmet!!!

here is my new helmet
IRH ATH Tech Fab Clear 5 Vent Helmet from SmartPak Equine

Hope it Helps!!! I love IRH's!!!!!!!!!!!!! It gives you a professional look and if you get one with vents there great in he summer!

IslandWave 02-11-2010 03:25 AM

I also have an oval-ish head and my IRH fits it quite well (although it wasn't very well padded, so I had to add some padding to it). Since it's black velvet, I use a helmet cover to keep it clean between shows. You can find ones with cool prints. That should help your helmet stand out. ;) I got mine really cheap off eBay.

vivache 03-13-2010 02:04 PM

Just an update-- I got a Tipp.