The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   vitamin/mineral supplements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/vitamin-mineral-supplements-47595/)

barnprincess 02-10-2010 07:53 PM

vitamin/mineral supplements

Gingers been on the 30% Triple crown supplement feed since october. she looks good and dosent touch her mineral block any more, and loves her salt block. Before she was on this she always attaked the mineral block.

Lunas been on the complete since october and was KILLLLINNG her mineral block and didnt take much to the salt lick.

SO

i put a big handful of the 30% with the 2 qts complete and 2 qts beet pulp for luna. and 2 handfulls of the 30% with 3qts complete and 3 qts beet pulp for ginger.

now being its not to rationed out im just going to put them BOTH on the complete. i don't think mixing it is a good idea lol. Luna's an easy keep but being shes got minor joint crackling at only 8 y.o i want to make sure she gets all her vit/mins. Same for ginger. i want something they can both get.

so what vit/min. supplement would you reccomend to add with the triple crown complete and beet pulp. is there something for vit/min and joints in one? nvm smartpack. i shop on horse.com and horseloverz.com.

Some one said you dont add anything b/c its a complete feed, but if theyre going after the mineral blocks still then woulden't that mean they are lacking??

My Beau 02-10-2010 10:57 PM

For your last question-

If the horse isn't getting the reccommended amount of complete feed then they aren't getting all of the vitamins/minerals. You'll have to read the back of the bag and do some math. Then once you figure our how many pounds per day they should be getting according to their activity level, you can look out how much they are actually getting. If it's less than reccommended then they're not taking in all the vitamins/minerals they need.

Maverick101 02-12-2010 01:27 AM

A really good joint supplement is Myristol.

Myristol Equine 24 lb. Bag

Also just because a horse "attacks" its mineral block doesn't meant they are lacking minerals....some horses just love the taste, and also "attack" them out of boredom.

Peggysue 02-15-2010 08:47 AM

WHy not go with 1lb of TC30% then add calories?? Most likely be cheaper in the long run although it is a bit more work

barnprincess 02-15-2010 02:07 PM

calories as in what?

Peggysue 02-15-2010 02:39 PM

You can use alfalfa pellets/cubes, beet pulp, rice bran , flax seed or oats :)

barnprincess 02-15-2010 03:48 PM

read what i said in my OP . they get beet pulp =] ginger gets 6 lbs a day of it with the 30% and complete. shes also getting timothy/alfalfa hay. i did the alfalfa pellets for a while they didnt make a difference so i stopped buying them . I didnt like the rice bran either. maybe it was the brand but it was gross. and it also didnt do anything haha.

Peggysue 02-15-2010 08:11 PM

I would go with Triple Crown Senior then :) 6lbs min a day

barnprincess 02-15-2010 09:14 PM

will the senior give ginger what she needs? and then i'll just keep luna on the complete? Gingers 18 lunas 8.

edit --

and do i give ginger 6 lbs of senior per DAY or per FEEDING ? it says start with 6 lbs but no more than 5 lbs per feeding so im confused haha.

Peggysue 02-15-2010 10:17 PM

6lbs per day min ...

it actually has a great vitamin/mineral package as well as pre and pro bios in the bag so less stuff to add. I ahve seen it do amazing things are starving yearlings!!! THe only thing you MIGHT need to add for hte older one is a joint supplement IF she needs it.

She should do great on it