The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Initial thoughts on stallion ( I do not own him) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/initial-thoughts-stallion-i-do-not-47605/)

ShebaGurl 02-10-2010 10:03 PM

Initial thoughts on stallion ( I do not own him)

Just want to know what your guys initial thoughts were on this stallion. He is a Paint/TB/Oldenburg Cross. His mother was the Paint/TB and Father Oldenburg by Art Deco. He is 6 years old. Photo from www.prospectfarms.comhttp://www.prospectfarms.com/flash19.jpg

White Foot 02-10-2010 10:05 PM

D; All I can say is, I hope this isn't the picture they are trying to use to advertise him. On the other pics from the website Prospectfarms.com he is good looking. And I think he is well put together.

Mercedes 02-10-2010 10:08 PM

Initial thought is that he's not stallion quality. While he possesses some nice traits, his faults far outweigh them.

ShebaGurl 02-10-2010 10:08 PM

yep and the others aren't too forgiving either, I know his sire and grand-sire are pretty impressive but these pics aren't doing this horse any justice. To me he seems down hill in other pics on the site. The reason I'm asking you guys is to prove to my dad that this is not a great stallion, he found this guy online and thought this would be a good one to breed with since he is close and AWS registered. I said no way right off the bat, but he was insistent

ShutUpJoe 02-10-2010 10:09 PM

I can't tell anything from any of the pictures they have on that site. He's pretty but I wouldn't say stud worthy.

White Foot 02-10-2010 10:12 PM

From the other pictures from the site, the place doesn't look professional. Nor do I think they should breed him, though I would like him for a gelding pleasure horse. I honestly wouldn't breed, I looked at them quick and though it was nice but after looking at them for a few minutes, I changed my mind. I wouldn't trust this place if you paid me too, esp because they are advertising their stallion service with pics like this with no conformation shots?

kevinshorses 02-11-2010 12:08 AM

Nice GELDING!!

PaintsPwn 02-11-2010 12:34 AM

They can't take the time to give him a **** bath before taking pictures of him or even brushing his mane to one side, they certainly do not have the time to properly train and/or market him as a stallion and I'll just about bet money he's not broke to ride. No riding pictures, and no conditioning on him whatsoever.

Too bad, he'd be a nice riding gelding for someone who would be willing to put time into a horse u__u

Spyder 02-11-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShebaGurl (Post 549103)
The reason I'm asking you guys is to prove to my dad that this is not a great stallion, he found this guy online and thought this would be a good one to breed with since he is close and AWS registered. I said no way right off the bat, but he was insistent

A perfect example of what I was saying on the other warmblood thread.

First it doesn't say he is AWS registered.

And even if he is he is NOT APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!:evil:

Another breeder that thinks (if he is indeed registered) that, that is good enough and for sure there is some fool out there that will breed to him. I am not a fan of Art Deco as he does not/did not breed true and many offspring had temperment problems.

I checked the AWS listing to verify and he is NOT APPROVED.:evil:

kassierae 02-11-2010 12:50 AM

He has a pretty head and neck, but he has an icky(from what I can tell) shoulder, long back, wasp waisted, very weak hind end, and he looks to be sickle hocked. Heck, the cross of breeds chosen would scare me off without even looking! Crossbreeding is okay, when done right. This is an example of crossbreeding gone horribly wrong. He would make an adorable little gelding, but he is nowhere near stallion quality.