The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What to do during "Snow Storm"? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-do-during-snow-storm-47676/)

AlabamaHorseMom 02-11-2010 05:58 PM

What to do during "Snow Storm"?

Ok, I know all of you up north are going to laugh at me, but what do I do with the horses during the "snow storm" we're about to have? We are only getting 2-3" but still, the national weather service even issued a Sever Winter Weather advisory! This is South Alabama, we arent even supposed to HAVE a winter!

We've never had stow before that acutally stuck since I've lived her, and so I have no Idea what to do for them... if anything...

They are blanketed as of now, and I will leave them blanketed during the whole thing, but do I put them in the stall? Can they stay out?

Remember we're talking about 90 miles north of Panama City Florida, so this will most likely be the first snow these horses have ever seen, not to mention this first snow their MOMMA has ever seen too! :shock:

Ok, you can commence the laughing at me now...:wink:

White Foot 02-11-2010 06:08 PM

I have to admit, I did giggle, a little xD

No but seriously, 2-3inces is nothing to lock your horse away forever for. I would let them out during the day but put them in at night. If they have blankets on then I wouldn't worry. They can play in their first snow! What is the temp?

AlabamaHorseMom 02-11-2010 06:12 PM

Ok, you'll probably laugh again, its only supposed to get down to like 38 tomorrow during the day, and then like 25ish tonight and tomorrow night.

:oops: I'm a worry wart... I hate to envision my babies out there shivering!

My Beau 02-11-2010 06:13 PM

I agree - leave them out :) They'll probably love rolling in it! Not to mention all the "run/buck/farts" they can do ;)

Mine are in right now, but we have about 34" inches on the ground from 2 blizzards this past weekend. As soon as we can shovel the gate out they're getting kicked out into it!

White Foot 02-11-2010 06:19 PM

I would surely put them away during the night leaving their blanket on, I would only put a light sheet on during the day when it is 38 degrees.
Don't feel bad, I love when my friends that are from different countries and states come to visit me in Upstate NY, they freak out when they see that we have a few feet.

:) If it makes you feel any better you made my whole night.

Melanie, those are always good. Haha

wyominggrandma 02-11-2010 06:19 PM

I live in Wyoming and my horses stay out during snow storms, blizzards and cold as low as -25 F... I just make sure they have plenty of hay to eat and my water tanks are heated to give them plenty of water. They have loafing shed to go into, but I rarely see them in it, even in complete whiteouts. I realize your area doesn't see snow very often, but make sure they have stalls to go in if they want, lots of extra hay and plenty of "warm" up water to drink . You will probably be surprised and see them outside playing in it.

Plains Drifter 02-11-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyominggrandma (Post 549875)
I live in Wyoming and my horses stay out during snow storms, blizzards and cold as low as -25 F... I just make sure they have plenty of hay to eat and my water tanks are heated to give them plenty of water. They have loafing shed to go into, but I rarely see them in it, even in complete whiteouts. I realize your area doesn't see snow very often, but make sure they have stalls to go in if they want, lots of extra hay and plenty of "warm" up water to drink . You will probably be surprised and see them outside playing in it.

Same here.

I did chuckle cause right now 38 degrees would be a heat wave for us.

Horses are alot hardier than alot of folks give them credit for.

satrider 02-11-2010 06:34 PM

I'm in SW ARkansas/NE TX border, and it is snowing here right now. I'm not too worried about my four, I'm sure they can handle it. After all what if they were in the wild.

crazyequine 02-11-2010 11:28 PM

This is a legitimate question if you aren't used to snow storms!

Your horses will LOVE it!!!! I live up in Northern Canada and my horses love a fresh snow. Your babies will find it especially interesting! Depending on how cold it gets, just throw on a waterproof light blanket or sheet and keep them dry. It's the wind combined with cooler temps and getting wet that will give them the chills! If they have a shelter or can access their stalls, let them do as they wish...if they don't like it, they will go inside! Good luck and enjoy the weather!!!

Maverick101 02-12-2010 03:27 AM

Im sure they will find it fun to play in....

That being said...they wont be used to colder temps though, so just ensure they have hay in front of them which will keep them warmer, and if need be, throwing light blanket on them may help.

My horses are out in -40c and are fine, but they are accustomed to that, not all horses would fair well in cold temps if not used to it.

But yes, a little snow didn't hurt anyone...a.bout time you people get to share it w us :)