The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Naughty Blu....no Christmas for you! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/naughty-blu-no-christmas-you-4774/)

BluMagic 12-16-2007 07:21 PM

Naughty Blu....no Christmas for you!

Blu has been acting up. Not showing any respect. Intruding my personal space without invitation. Bad....

Any ideas?

free_sprtd 12-16-2007 09:09 PM

Thunder did that for me for a minute until I corrected him. It all started with him pinning his ears back (me not noticing), then he started to get mouthy and tried to bite several times, then it was him crowding my space and at one point he pinned me in a corner cuz he wanted his grain, then it got to the point where he tried to kick because he didnt feel like being brushed. So I did some research and the next time I saw him pinning his ears back, I poked him in the neck a few times and said "hey uh-uh" in a stern voice. once he relaxed them, I went about what I was doing. he needs to know that you are his alpha. EVERYTIME he shows a little behavior of disrespect you need to correct him. He is going to test you any way he can. Once he can get away with something small, he will test with the next behavior he knows to do. watch for the small stuff. he will ALWAYS test you :) and ALWAYS be consistent. he should straighten up after correcting him a few times.

GOOD LUCK! HOPE THAT HELPS. remember to be patient..

BluMagic 12-16-2007 09:13 PM

It helps a lot. My farrier even said he wasn't very good for being shod. That really suprised me. Thank you...

free_sprtd 12-16-2007 09:16 PM

yep! let me know how it goes, and if you find any other ways of fixing it, let me know :)

thunder hasnt done it again, he tried the ears thing one day after that, but got over once I reminded him. and what I read was that even in a herd, if one of the lower ranked horses tested the alpha, then they would get bit, kicked, or snarled at. oh ya and tell him what a good boy he is when he does listen to you (but im sure you know that one) :wink:

Spirithorse 12-16-2007 11:11 PM

My answer may be a bit different from the other person's response. I do agree, however, that if his behavior IS out of dominance, you need to do less sooner rather then more later to correct the behavior. But you need to make ABSOLUTE SURE that his behavior IS NOT out of FEAR or UNCONFIDENCE. Sometimes people get fear/unconfidence mixed up with dominance just because they don't know what to look for. You need to pay attention to body tension, if he's blinking a lot or not, if his ears or tail are tense (feel them), if his head is a little high, etc. Sometimes horses will crowd you when they are afraid, it's herd instinct. And when the person acts like a predator, it can make the horse feel defensive and pin their ears, try to kick, bite, etc. but it's all out of fear/unconfidence.

I let my horse rub on me, lick my hand (if he's polite), snuggle up to me, and a lot of people would say that is "disrespectful" behavior. THIS IS A TWO WAY STREET RELATIONSHIP. If the horse gives to me, then I give to him, and if that means letting him scratch his head on me, then I'm fine with that. Now of course, sometimes it may get a little rough, but I simply say, "Ok, too rough, please back up" and my horse respects that. Then I'll scratch his head with my hands.

So really, watch his body language. When you correct the behavior, don't be aggressive, loud, etc. about it. Alpha horses DO NOT get emotional when correcting another horse, so neither should you. You shouldn't smack, jerk, yell, growl, or in any way get aggressive because that will only make him not like you. You SHOULD be assertive and get your point across. Like when a horse pins his ears at me out of dominance, I back them up until the look on their face changes to soft. But I don't yell. I'm very calm in my emotions but I have a lot of energy in my body.

I would also suggest considering doing the Parelli 7 Games with him. That will help you a lot with this issue.

free_sprtd 12-17-2007 03:04 AM

That's what I was trying to say spirithorse...you said it better :lol: . thanks! with my situation, it was not out of fear (i have seen the difference....he was treating me like a playmate). plus my gelding is only a year and a half. what i meant was a gental poke in an 'assertive' voice as you say :). thanks for explaining it better. however, mine hasn't done it again, and i can feel the trust from him, since he's a baby :)

good luck blumagic!

free_sprtd 12-17-2007 03:06 AM

lol i just read one of my reply's and i didnt mean to sound like pretend you are a leader in the herd, it was an example. hehe i would NEVER kick or bite my horse :oops:

Spirithorse 12-17-2007 11:34 AM

LOL yea I would never bite my horse either! :lol: That wouid just be.........odd.........

I actually don't even use voice to correct a horse. I'm not vocal with them at all. I just use body language. Horses aren't very vocal creatures themselves and if I'm trying to be better with horses, I won't be vocal either.

free_sprtd 12-17-2007 12:10 PM

makes sense :)

to each their own

however, im sure a little nibbling never hurt anyone!!!! ahahahahhahahhaha jk hehehe i got flees too lol jk

ya im a nerd

PaintsAqha 12-17-2007 02:15 PM

free_sprtd::::

Pinning you in a corner for grain. Is unacceptable period. You could be seriously hurt!
I would suggest carrying a crop. Since your hands are full with feed you cannot raise them and make loud noises at the horse to appear bigger and more dominant.
A smack on the chest followed with a back or move, which I teach my horses from the start they will back or move on command most days. On the days they don't or are feeling frisky I carry the crop a few whacks (not hard enough to leave welts or anything like that) on the chest as I said usually sends them away.
Now all I have to do is carry it and they steer clear of me with the food.
The last thing you want is a horse pinning their ears and coming at you because of food.
My mare got the notion to spin around and drop her rear to me 2 times each time I chased her off with the arms raised thing. She got more aggressive so I got the lunge whip and snapped it sent her off would not let her eat or near the food.
She finally got over herself and submitted to me so I then let her eat. It took only 2 times and she stopped that behavior. They can kick so fast your nailed before you know it.
That kind of behavior is unacceptable. I do realize it was probably hormonal she was in heat. only 2 yrs old to boot. She only did this when in heat but still unacceptable and dangerous behavior.
Her behavior surprised me as she is very loving and kind even protective of me. But first and fore most she is a horse.

Oh and the nibbling thing bad very bad. No nibbling. Nibbling can lead to biting and taking chunks out of human faces, arms, shoulders etc.
Good Luck with your horse and always remember you are in charge and you must be in charge always...