The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   English Bridle Sizes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-bridle-sizes-47758/)

CharliGirl 02-12-2010 04:14 PM

English Bridle Sizes

I am looking into purchasing an english bridle for one of my geldings, but I am not sure what size to purchase. My gelding is a 15.3hh, 1200lb horse. He wears size Large and warmblood sized halters (the warmblood one is a bit loose). I measured the length from one bit ring, over his head, down to the opposite bit ring, and came up with a measurement of about 43 inches. He needs a longer throatlatch and browband than most horses, so I'm not sure how that will affect what size he needs. I'm pretty sure he isn't a cob size, but I am uncertain if he needs a full size or oversize bridle.

I am planning on taking these measurements to my local tack store, but thought someone here might be able to help me too. :-)

Speed Racer 02-12-2010 04:42 PM

At 15.3 h he'll most likely take a horse size bridle. Oversize would probably be too big for his head.

I've always bought cob size for my Arabians, and for JJ (my TB) I just bought a horse size. JJ's 15.2 h and around 1,100 lbs.

CharliGirl 03-16-2010 06:29 PM

I just tried my new horse sized bridle on Scotch--the only buckles that reached were the cheek pieces. :-| Does anyone know where I can get a warmblood (o/s) sized bridle, preferably under $75? I really like black bridles, but I'm open to pretty much anything that will fit him at this point.

IslandWave 03-17-2010 03:05 AM

Try eBay. Just remember that you get what you pay for when it comes to leather. You can also check the tack ads here.

Polaris 03-17-2010 09:13 AM

Take a look at Smartpak. They have some nice offerings in your price range. Excellent company to deal with too.

Lobelia Overhill 03-18-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharliGirl (Post 578513)
I just tried my new horse sized bridle on Scotch--the only buckles that reached were the cheek pieces. :-| Does anyone know where I can get a warmblood (o/s) sized bridle, preferably under $75? I really like black bridles, but I'm open to pretty much anything that will fit him at this point.

I have a black webbing bridle that's extra full, and it's too big for my horse, if you're interested?