The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   A quick question (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/quick-question-47779/)

Draftgirl17 02-12-2010 09:38 PM

A quick question

I don't show gaited horses or even have one but lately i have wondered if when riding a gaited horse saddle seat do you still post at the trot or sit the trot. The one lady who was giving me tips and kinda helping me this summer has said that you sit the trot on a gaited horse. I was just wondering:-o

Sghorselover 02-12-2010 11:18 PM

I think you sit and post..dont count on me but i think so!

charlicata 02-12-2010 11:26 PM

Are you talking about a saddle horse that gaits, or something like a Tennessee Walker. When I used to show Saddlebreds, we posted on the trot. But, with the Walking horse that I have now, she never gets into the trot. It's a slow gait instead of a trot.

horseluver2435 02-14-2010 11:19 PM

A Saddlebred actually has a trot that you post to. But, as stated above, if it's an actual gaited horse, like a Tenesee Walker or a Kentucky/Rocky Mountain horse, you remain sitting for all of it's gaits. Hope that made sense- I ride at a gaited barn (yet I'm non-gaited), so I have somewhat of an idea about gaited horses.

charlicata 02-14-2010 11:46 PM

Rosie (TWH) doesn't have a trot. She goes from a flat walk, to the slow gait (replaces the trot), to a faster gait, then to a canter.

Draftgirl17 02-15-2010 09:31 PM

Then would it be safe to hypothesize that since there is no "trot" then that is why no posting? But i understand what you guys mean : ] i just wanted to make sure i got this stuff straight so i don't end up saying something stupid lol

charlicata 02-15-2010 10:50 PM

Nope, no posting. That's why it's more comfortable to ride a gaited horse that say a Quarter horse or Thorobred for people like me who have had a lot of injuries...lol.