The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   What's the right jumping position? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/whats-right-jumping-position-47789/)

SydLovesJackers 02-13-2010 01:36 AM

What's the right jumping position?

The title says it all!

MIEventer 02-13-2010 01:48 AM

I highly suggest you start reading George Morris and his critique columns in the Practicle Horseman Magazine, and look into his books.

There is alot involved.

Allison Finch 02-13-2010 03:05 AM

I am not a hunter rider....I am not an equitation rider....I event and jump. The best position is any position that allows you to flow with your horse, offering little or no interference. I don't like people who "perch" and over arch their backs, as is done in hunters. It only shuts your seat down (back is too stiff you allow the seat to flow with the horse). That is one reason hunter riders don't sit the canter. It throws away your best jumping aid....seat.

OK, now that I have aggravated all the hunter riders here, flame on.

RedTree 02-13-2010 03:18 AM

maybe get a few lessons just to learn the basics of jumping
but you have to go into two point postion(your butt of the saddle only slightly)
put your hands say about halfway up your horses neck and keep your arms there for a few strides after the jump so you dont yank on the horses mouth

but I would highly recommened a lesson just for the first few times you jump

MIEventer 02-13-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

I don't like people who "perch" and over arch their backs, as is done in hunters. It only shuts your seat down (back is too stiff you allow the seat to flow with the horse). That is one reason hunter riders don't sit the canter. It throws away your best jumping aid....seat.

Allison, I wholeheartedly agree with you. You are absolutely correct. Hunter form is an assanign form, and unfunctional.

StormyBlues 02-13-2010 04:36 PM

SO TRUE!!!!! I have nothing against good, functional, hunter riders, but those who perch really tick me off! ;)

Again, I agree, READ GM!!!!! I have learned SO much!

ridergirl23 02-13-2010 04:51 PM

Ya, i love hunter, but the new 'fad' that ive been seeing isnt that prety to me... but then again, i have seen some jumpers at spruce that really and truly need to clean up their act a bit. heres a nice picture of a "correct" position, but i think a "correct" position differs from each person/horse
Google Image Result for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/Niort2006_no3-1-.JPG

nirvana 02-13-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison Finch (Post 551331)
I am not a hunter rider....I am not an equitation rider....I event and jump. The best position is any position that allows you to flow with your horse, offering little or no interference. I don't like people who "perch" and over arch their backs, as is done in hunters. It only shuts your seat down (back is too stiff you allow the seat to flow with the horse). That is one reason hunter riders don't sit the canter. It throws away your best jumping aid....seat.

OK, now that I have aggravated all the hunter riders here, flame on.

Agreed! Although ALOT of Hunters do perch and arch their backs, their are some who do not do this. My barn is a hunter barn, but they do not teach us to perch/arch back. My instructor wont let you go past a crossrail if your posiion isnt perfect. But I know exacly what your talking about, I see it at hunter shows all the time and it makes me cringe.

Like you I believe in really going with your horses movment and NEVER catching them in the mouth, I get soooo mad when I see this.

Lottie95 02-14-2010 06:17 AM

Get some lessons, don't attempt to teach yourself as you won't be able to tell if you're doing it right or not. You could get a book on jumping to learn more and watch proffesionals on TV or YouTube.

upnover 02-14-2010 03:14 PM

As a hunter rider I'd be more aggravated by some of the above posts if I didn't see a lot of ineffective riding. But I would ask that you please not generalize an ENTIRE discipline, as there are more then a few hunter riders who are quite effective. The eventers I've seen in my area are downright terrifying to the point of being a liability. To say all eventers are hazardous to themselves and their horses would be a gross generalization. Personally I think the majority of the perching and posing is seen in the Equitation ring, where it's important to sit pretty. Technically in the hunters the rider could be riding upside down and still win if the round is nice.

Back to the OP, I second reading some books and articles from George Morris, particularly Hunt Seat Equitation. He gets to the basics and breaks down form and function, and explains the WHYs. IMO all beginners should start off with correct basics. Yes, upper level riders can be quite effective and surprisingly secure in their nontraditional forms but most starting off can't. There's really too much to list and explain in just one post.