The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Fencing? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/fencing-47792/)

White Foot 02-13-2010 06:29 AM

Fencing?

What type of fencing do you use?

For the longest time I had a nice wood fence, and it looked beautiful, but it damaged and rotted easily. Then we had just the wood fence in the front and a thick wire/fabric fence, but the front rotted and we had to take it down. And now we have the thick rope/wire up again.

I would love to know what you use and how expensive it is?

Tink 02-13-2010 10:42 AM

I use the electric tape... I prefer the Horseguard because it holds up the best to wind and weather, but I do have some of the cheaper stuff. This is the Horseguard site: HorseguardFence.com : the best electric fence for Horse They have a price list, but they advertise as 10 cents per foot.

I'm using the white standard tape. I like the fact that I can see it well so that if the fence is compromised (tree falls on it or something), I can see it is down.

rockaway 02-13-2010 10:51 AM

We use elctro braid and love it. We used wooden poles but on our next area we will try fiberglass rods as it is hard to get the poles into clay. It is expensive but it looks great and is maintenance free. We use solar to power it and no problems at all, even in winter. We will never go back to anything else. We have had every type of fence.

Maverick101 02-13-2010 11:16 AM

We have a combination of types.
Our large summer pastures are electric, as its the cheapest type to cover such a large area.
We have 4 turnout paddocks that are visible from the road past our place, only because I like the look of it, those are wood. We treat all our boards w stain, its time consuming, but stand up to the elements much better, and look quite lovely I must say.
Our turnout paddocks by our barn area are all metal panel fencing...I love this option as its sturdy, looks good, and I can change the configuration of my paddocks if I desire....which is an awesome option.

eventerdrew 02-13-2010 12:00 PM

I use electric wire. The braid and tape swing in the KS wind and do not hold up. If you get the right width of wire it will. I put tags on the fence so the horses can see it and they haven't had a problem with it at all

White Foot 02-13-2010 10:33 PM

Wow, I can't believe no one has problems. I'm doing something wrong. I'm for sure going to look into these fence brands.

Delfina 02-13-2010 11:31 PM

Metal fence panels. It's great because we can easily change things around and since the property backs up to city-owned acreage, we have wire mesh panels attached to it to keep people's dogs out since tons of people like to walk their dogs on the city property.

themacpack 02-14-2010 11:45 AM

We have horse-cote/hot-cote wire and I love it. The reason for the combo is we have a 5 strand fence with the top, middle and bottom being hot-cote and then the other two are horse-cote(non-electrified). The run of fence facing the house is wood plank.

churumbeque 02-19-2010 05:48 PM

wood fence for 10 years now and never had any rot. Maybe it's the kind of wood you used.

CecilliaB 02-19-2010 11:09 PM

We have electric tape up for paddocks.