The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Runny Eyes! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/runny-eyes-47800/)

VanillaBean 02-13-2010 08:14 AM

Runny Eyes!

Sheena's eyes are really runny...Why and what is it; what can I do?
PLease help!
Thanks
VB

Walkamile 02-13-2010 10:11 AM

It could mean a lot of things. To be sure you will need a vet to examine and determine what is happening. Do not let this go, it could be serious. I am speaking from experience here. I could list a number of things, but that would be pointless. The horse needs to be checked by a vet.

Good luck.

kitten_Val 02-13-2010 12:21 PM

Jemma and Kiara had red runny eyes several times after we had really strong wind and there was all this dust flying around. I made very strong tea and just cleaned their eyes with the cotton ball soaked in warm tea 2-3 times/day. It seems to work for me. I also did the same with my cats and dogs when they had similar problems.

Jessabel 02-13-2010 12:58 PM

I would get a vet out there. It might be nothing, but it could also be something serious.

VanillaBean 02-13-2010 04:53 PM

ok thanks. were having the vet comeout on wednesday any way so ill have her check it out.

VB

Walkamile 02-14-2010 10:03 PM

VanillaBean, is your horse's eyes still runny? If so, you might want to take a cotton swab with warm water and clean the area where it's been running on it's face. This can be very irritating to their skin. Make him/her a little more comfy till you see the vet.

Keep us posted on the results and good luck. Hopefully it will be simple, if not, better to be safe.

Walkamile 02-18-2010 04:28 PM

VanillaBean, how did your horse make out with the vet Wednesday?

VanillaBean 02-18-2010 08:52 PM

okay, so her tear duct was blocked. so the vet flushed it out...and now she should be fine unless the duct was blocked because of an allergy(hopefully not!) thanks for all the info!!

VB

Walkamile 02-18-2010 09:08 PM

That's wonderful! Glad it wasn't anything more serious. Did he/she show you how to do this for possible future issue?

VanillaBean 02-20-2010 08:46 AM

No the vet didnt show me, i wasnt here when they flushed it, but Sheena had to be drugged so i'm thinking it is not something that i can do because Sheena is really well behaved, so if the vet drugged her, it was necessary.

VB