The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Least Favorite Chore when it's cold. (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/least-favorite-chore-when-its-cold-47864/)

charlicata 02-13-2010 11:28 PM

Least Favorite Chore when it's cold.

I was wondering what everyone's least favorite barn chore is when it's cold and there's snow on the ground. I'll start off.

My least favorite is scraping the snow off of the wheels of the wheel barrow. We don't have a tractor or a manure spreader, so it gets put in a big pile in the woods on the BO's property. If I don't scrape the snow off, I end up having a wobbly crap carrier which catches so many shavings it's not even funny.

kmdstar 02-14-2010 12:03 AM

Anything involving water basically. We bought an extra set of water buckets for the girls so we can just bring them back and fourth to clean them instead of having to do it at the barn. Just tonight I spilled water down the front of me and I thought my hair was going to freeze LOL

Delfina 02-14-2010 12:24 AM

Chipping frozen horse manure out of the corrals. It's gets bad enough sometimes that I have to get my husband to go chip it off the ground so I can shovel it up. Then, because it's frozen solid, it's so heavy I can only move a half-wheelbarrow of it, so cleaning the corrals takes forever because I have to make twice as many trips. We don't make a pile, we spread it out in the back pasture to decompose but frozen poo doesn't spread so when it warms up, I have to go spread mounds and mounds of it then.

starlinestables 02-14-2010 03:01 AM

I'm a neat freak about my barn so anything that involves MUD.

Tink 02-14-2010 10:42 AM

X2 on the water... we don't have a faucet at the barn, so that means carrying water from the faucet at the house. Even putting in the bucket of the tractor to take it out there isn't much fun.

Jake and Dai 02-14-2010 10:48 AM

I'm fortunate enough to have a heated water trough in my barn (it's one big run in where the ponies can come and go as they like). But that leads me to the most hated winter chore, stripping that big space when there's more than a couple of inches of snow on the ground. I had a manure cart for our 4wheeler but bent the axle right before Christmas so now I have to use a wheel barrow. Good exercise but not easy!

Annaland13 02-14-2010 12:02 PM

Anything that involves water. I have bad circulation in general so my hand are pretty much numb in the winter. When I have to do water it's even worse.

Plains Drifter 02-14-2010 12:12 PM

Carrying water from the heated drinker to the barn. It's not the carrying that I mind, it's the trudging through the snow drifts that are usually knee-thigh high.

NorthernMama 02-14-2010 12:17 PM

Trimming hooves.

Luv 2 Trail 02-14-2010 03:12 PM

:-)I'd have to go with the chore of cleaning the water tub - GAH that water is COLD!!!!