The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   New Job. New Stable. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/new-job-new-stable-47885/)

whitetrashwarmblood 02-14-2010 01:12 AM

New Job. New Stable.

I used to work at a very laid-back riding stable. I took lessons there from around when I was 9 til I was 12. Then I volunteered for a year before getting a full time job there. I just quit two months ago (I'm 19 yrs old now.), so that riding stable was a HUGE part of my life. All the workers there were like family, and we're all still VERY close. I quit that stable because of drama between the new manager and the owner.

I have a friend who used to work at that stable with me, but after a few years quit and got a job at a much more high-end stable. She only worked there for a month before quitting because of the barn owner. Apparently, the BO has a bad rep for her attitude problem.

She stills talks to the other workers there, and one way or another I got stuck with an interview with the manager of that stable. The whole time I was warned about the BOs attitude problem, and they've been having trouble getting people to keep a job there.

He basically told me that I got the job, but he said that he's going to let the other people who were already scheduled to come have a chance to fill out an application etc. I have to go through a trial day to see if they like me enough to let me work there, and I'm nervous beyond belief. Almost everything they do there is different from what I'm used to and much more strict in general. I just don't want to end up like everyone else who tried to get a job there.

Carleen 02-14-2010 01:37 AM

I tried working at a big, higher-end stable last summer. I lasted a week before I quit. Don't want to be scaring you or anything of course! I just still think about how bad it was - I'm generally a very strong person and on my second day the BO made me cry, she was terrible. She'd yell at me for 5 minutes because I didn't do something that I had no idea was supposed to be done, they had a "schedule" of things they did on rotation that didn't have to be done daily - ie. somethings some days, other things others, but the schedule was not written down anywhere and no one cared to even try to tell me it. The worst part was that when I got home I had an e-mail from her telling me not to worry, that I'd get "used to her" attitude. The e-mail was from the BO herself, too.
Hope your experience will be a good one, and way different from mine! Good luck!

whitetrashwarmblood 02-14-2010 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carleen (Post 552305)
I tried working at a big, higher-end stable last summer. I lasted a week before I quit. Don't want to be scaring you or anything of course! I just still think about how bad it was - I'm generally a very strong person and on my second day the BO made me cry, she was terrible. She'd yell at me for 5 minutes because I didn't do something that I had no idea was supposed to be done, they had a "schedule" of things they did on rotation that didn't have to be done daily - ie. somethings some days, other things others, but the schedule was not written down anywhere and no one cared to even try to tell me it. The worst part was that when I got home I had an e-mail from her telling me not to worry, that I'd get "used to her" attitude. The e-mail was from the BO herself, too.
Hope your experience will be a good one, and way different from mine! Good luck!

My friend who had worked there for a month got yelled at to for some silly reason. I guess at that stable they pick the horses feet out twice a day, and they accused her of not picking out a certain horses feet because the boarder came and found a little piece of wood in his hoof. (Even though he was in his stall with wood shavings.) So she got yelled at for being lazy, and not double checking her work.
Idk, I'm trying to think positive thoughts, lol. I need the money, and it's always nice to have more experience.

Jessabel 02-14-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetrashwarmblood (Post 552319)
My friend who had worked there for a month got yelled at to for some silly reason. I guess at that stable they pick the horses feet out twice a day, and they accused her of not picking out a certain horses feet because the boarder came and found a little piece of wood in his hoof. (Even though he was in his stall with wood shavings.) So she got yelled at for being lazy, and not double checking her work.
Idk, I'm trying to think positive thoughts, lol. I need the money, and it's always nice to have more experience.

Holy crap. :shock: Talk about anal. Being finicky about your horse's care is one thing, but that's bordering on crazy.

Good luck with your new job. Hope it goes well. :)