The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Confo on Bause? Arab (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/confo-bause-arab-47890/)

Pidge 02-14-2010 02:12 AM

Confo on Bause? Arab

1 Attachment(s)
So as far as i can tell she doesnt have any major confo faults but im much more use to judging confo in QH's an TB's....so i just want some more experienced remarks on her confo. She isnt cow hocked and her front legs are strait. I would post more pictures but this is the only one i have...thank goodness its a pretty good one, the ground is level where she is standing...lol anywho tear her to pieces...i wanna learn what to look for in an arab, thats why i have so many darn arab horse magazines now lol I will also comment that this picture is a year or so old...she still looks that same just a bit fatter due to lack of riding lol :D

Mercedes 02-14-2010 09:05 AM

Are you sure the ground doesn't slope? It appears to slope down and toward 'us', the viewers, though the photographer took a 'level' photo of the horse.

Anyway, she's quite post-legged, which is an odd trait for an Arab to possess. Can't remember ever seeing that fault on an Arab before. If the ground slopes down as much as I think it does, a horse can appear post-legged because of it.

Take another photo.

Pidge 02-14-2010 01:13 PM

Ok...im pretty sure the ground doesnt slope but i guess i need to check...it could be sloped...if it is then the slope is just as you described.

What does post-legged mean though? thats a term im not use to....(feels dumb)

kassierae 02-15-2010 01:13 AM

Personally I think her legs look sickle hocked. Post hocked mean they are straight through the hip, stifle and hock. Sickle hocked is when there is too much angle through them. It could be the way she is standing, but she looks sickle hocked to me.

Pidge 02-15-2010 11:28 AM

oh ok....hmm ill get better pictures of her legs today if i can get a camera....Im pretty sure she isnt sickle hocked or post legged....thank you guys! yall are giving me things to check for lol

More pictures tonight if i can!

Mercedes 02-15-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidge (Post 552645)
What does post-legged mean though? thats a term im not use to....(feels dumb)

Post-legged means the legs resemble a 'post'. As in, too straight, not enough angulation to the joints, not enough overall leg length.

Again, not a trait typically seen in Arabs. Even her neck structure, set, connection, and prominent wither is very un-Arab-like. If I had to guess, I'd have said she was an Anglo-Arab.

Pidge 02-15-2010 03:56 PM

Well I wasnt able to get pictures today (no camera) but i did look her over. She sure isnt sickle hocked...she isnt really post legged either...maybe a tad strait but not horrible.

So how can being post legged affect a horse? I mean like i said hers arent like completely strait but she might be a tad posty. You said something about not having enough leg length though in a post legged horse...she has really long legs...she is a big arab somewhere between 15'2 an 16' hands.

As for her neck an such i can agree...im just hoping it gets better with more work. She is currently way out of shape and way to fat...

But she is full arab...no anglo...shes a purebred lol

Mercedes 02-15-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidge (Post 553787)
So how can being post legged affect a horse? I mean like i said hers arent like completely strait but she might be a tad posty. You said something about not having enough leg length though in a post legged horse...she has really long legs...she is a big arab somewhere between 15'2 an 16' hands.

As for her neck an such i can agree...im just hoping it gets better with more work. She is currently way out of shape and way to fat...

A leg with more angulation to it is actually longer than a leg that's straighter. And it's all about everything being relative. A horse that has length to the leg can still be functionally post-legged.

Post-legged horses have a harder time engaging as the stride length of a straight leg is shorter than one with more angulation...again, all things being relative.

Pidge 02-15-2010 08:32 PM

so even if her legs are a bit posty since they are long it shouldnt mess with her functionality as a trail mount?

I plan on using her as a trail horse and if she can overcome her spooky nature and training issues as a possible endurance horse.

Mercedes 02-15-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pidge (Post 554124)
so even if her legs are a bit posty since they are long it shouldnt mess with her functionality as a trail mount?

I plan on using her as a trail horse and if she can overcome her spooky nature and training issues as a possible endurance horse.

You can ride a camel for trail riding for all that conformation matters. :wink:

Endurance is a different topic.