The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Articles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-articles/)
-   -   Give it up? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-articles/give-up-47911/)

wannahorse22 02-14-2010 01:35 PM

Give it up?

Okay,so i wanted a horse for about a year,then i lost interest in riding and horses all together,then i was opssessed with them,then i wasent.....you get the point. But now, i know it would be great to have a horse, but i am afraid i will lose interest, or even worse regret buying it. I am confused on wether i should keep begging to my dad,or if i should just give up because i dont think i could handle it. I just need someones advice because i never believe in myself...so i just need someone to tell me if i should stick with dogs...or go for a longshot with horses. Am i just wasting my time?
Please answer! this thing is stressing me out!:cry: One morning i will wake up and cant stop thinking about horses...the next morning i cant stop thinking about dogs. I NEED YOUR HELP! Please understand though that i would put a full effort in taking care of a horse,i am just afraid i am not good enough to be able to do it everyday:-(

wannahorse22 02-14-2010 02:35 PM

Please answer! You can private message me if you like! I have been riding for 3 yrs

JadedEyes 02-14-2010 02:57 PM

Why don't you try to lease a horse first? This way you don't have a huge investment in a horse. You can learn all about them and ride, without having to buy. It is a lot of work to have your own horse, and it is not easy at all.

By the sounds of it, you are not ready to own your own horse. There is no point in having your own horse, if you aren't going to take care of him/her or ride them pretty consistently. It's not fair to the horse at all.

Walkamile 02-14-2010 02:59 PM

Hey Wannahorse, gotta say your location just cracks me up!

Do you take riding lessons? Maybe that would give you what I call my "fix". If you're having doubts, then I would step back and really look into other options instead of owning. There is leasing. Or, I had a wonderful riding buddy (she rode T so I could focus on Walka) who was 12 when she started with me. We rode an average of 3 times a week together.

Not sure what your level of horse handling experience is , but something to consider. When you own, and keep it at your place, no one there to help you when something beyond your capabilities comes up.

wannahorse22 02-14-2010 03:35 PM

I guess i should of been more specific,so...i have been taking lessons for three years. I did leasing for 3 months but did not enjoy it because first of all you had to have assigned days to go up and ride the horse you were leasing, and other people still rode the horse in their lessons. So somedays i had to much homework to drive up there and ride, but on others i had plenty of time to stay there all day! But of course i couldent because the horse was being used in a lesson and it wasent on my "assigned day". So i didnt like that at all. I hope my dad understands that i am still capable of caring for one, but the leasing had a suckish program.

Painted Horse 02-14-2010 10:01 PM

I'd probably stick with lesson, lease or just hanging out around a barn and helping exercise the horses for a while. Buying a horse is a large investment. You may not have to pay a lot to actually buy the horse. But it cost money to keep the horse, buy the tack, buy a horse trailer to haul the horse, moving to larger pieces of land and building a barn,,, The list just goes on and on.

I find my teenage daughters start to loose interest in the horses as the get jobs, boyfriends more activities at high school etc. So unless your parents are going to support you in High School Rodeo, Queening or horse shows. You will probably also decrease in your interest as you grow up.

White Foot 02-14-2010 10:24 PM

It sound like to me you're one of the people who just like to test to see if you can get what you want, then once you do you won't care. 'Ya know?
So my answer is keep up with lessons but no, don't own a horse. :) We don't need anymore homeless ones

Gillian 02-15-2010 01:26 AM

I agree. You don't sound ready to own a horse. Keep doing what you're doing.
Take lessons, spend time at the barn, or lease again.

wannahorse22 02-15-2010 11:10 AM

I will take these into consideration. But someone privare messaged me and had a great idea. They said i should wait quite a few months and see if i am still interested, and if i am go for it!

Speed Racer 02-15-2010 11:21 AM

I think you should wait until you're an adult and can afford one on your own.

Otherwise, it'll be up to your parents/guardian to try and sell the animal when, not if, you get bored with it.

Horses are a major commitment in time, energy, emotion, and finances. You can't just pick them up one day and set them down another. It doesn't work like that.

Seems to me you don't really want a horse; you're just in love with the idea of having one. Until you lose interest again.

Continue to take lessons when you have the interest. Don't do your parents or a horse a disservice by taking one on until you're absolutely, positively sure you want to make that kind of commitment.

Horses are a grand passion, not a passing fancy. You do not appear to have the passion of a real horse lover.

I knew from the time I first saw one that I was going to have at least one. I never waivered in that desire all through my childhood, teenage years, and young adulthood. NOTHING got in the way of that; not boys, learning to drive, nightclubbing, etc.

You are not like that. You just think you want one. Next week it'll be dogs, or a new pair of the latest sneakers, or some electronic gizmo that you just HAVE TO HAVE OR YOU'LL DIE!!!