The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Give it up?

9K views 61 replies 24 participants last post by  iridehorses 
#1 ·
Okay,so i wanted a horse for about a year,then i lost interest in riding and horses all together,then i was opssessed with them,then i wasent.....you get the point. But now, i know it would be great to have a horse, but i am afraid i will lose interest, or even worse regret buying it. I am confused on wether i should keep begging to my dad,or if i should just give up because i dont think i could handle it. I just need someones advice because i never believe in myself...so i just need someone to tell me if i should stick with dogs...or go for a longshot with horses. Am i just wasting my time?
Please answer! this thing is stressing me out!:cry: One morning i will wake up and cant stop thinking about horses...the next morning i cant stop thinking about dogs. I NEED YOUR HELP! Please understand though that i would put a full effort in taking care of a horse,i am just afraid i am not good enough to be able to do it everyday:-(​

#3 ·
Why don't you try to lease a horse first? This way you don't have a huge investment in a horse. You can learn all about them and ride, without having to buy. It is a lot of work to have your own horse, and it is not easy at all.

By the sounds of it, you are not ready to own your own horse. There is no point in having your own horse, if you aren't going to take care of him/her or ride them pretty consistently. It's not fair to the horse at all.

#4 ·
Hey Wannahorse, gotta say your location just cracks me up!

Do you take riding lessons? Maybe that would give you what I call my "fix". If you're having doubts, then I would step back and really look into other options instead of owning. There is leasing. Or, I had a wonderful riding buddy (she rode T so I could focus on Walka) who was 12 when she started with me. We rode an average of 3 times a week together.

Not sure what your level of horse handling experience is , but something to consider. When you own, and keep it at your place, no one there to help you when something beyond your capabilities comes up.

#5 ·
I guess i should of been more specific,so...i have been taking lessons for three years. I did leasing for 3 months but did not enjoy it because first of all you had to have assigned days to go up and ride the horse you were leasing, and other people still rode the horse in their lessons. So somedays i had to much homework to drive up there and ride, but on others i had plenty of time to stay there all day! But of course i couldent because the horse was being used in a lesson and it wasent on my "assigned day". So i didnt like that at all. I hope my dad understands that i am still capable of caring for one, but the leasing had a suckish program.

#6 ·
I'd probably stick with lesson, lease or just hanging out around a barn and helping exercise the horses for a while. Buying a horse is a large investment. You may not have to pay a lot to actually buy the horse. But it cost money to keep the horse, buy the tack, buy a horse trailer to haul the horse, moving to larger pieces of land and building a barn,,, The list just goes on and on.

I find my teenage daughters start to loose interest in the horses as the get jobs, boyfriends more activities at high school etc. So unless your parents are going to support you in High School Rodeo, Queening or horse shows. You will probably also decrease in your interest as you grow up.

#9 ·
I will take these into consideration. But someone privare messaged me and had a great idea. They said i should wait quite a few months and see if i am still interested, and if i am go for it!

#10 ·
I think you should wait until you're an adult and can afford one on your own.

Otherwise, it'll be up to your parents/guardian to try and sell the animal when, not if, you get bored with it.

Horses are a major commitment in time, energy, emotion, and finances. You can't just pick them up one day and set them down another. It doesn't work like that.

Seems to me you don't really want a horse; you're just in love with the idea of having one. Until you lose interest again.

Continue to take lessons when you have the interest. Don't do your parents or a horse a disservice by taking one on until you're absolutely, positively sure you want to make that kind of commitment.

Horses are a grand passion, not a passing fancy. You do not appear to have the passion of a real horse lover.

I knew from the time I first saw one that I was going to have at least one. I never waivered in that desire all through my childhood, teenage years, and young adulthood. NOTHING got in the way of that; not boys, learning to drive, nightclubbing, etc.

You are not like that. You just think you want one. Next week it'll be dogs, or a new pair of the latest sneakers, or some electronic gizmo that you just HAVE TO HAVE OR YOU'LL DIE!!!

#18 ·
:) This is a perfect example of how I think you're one of the people want something so bad, and if you don't get it then you will keep trying, and if you do then you won't care. And this is showing me that you aren't ready for a horse because you don't want to listen to to the truth.

#14 ·
^ That was rather rude. Whatever. I'm still of the opinion that you're not ready. It's not fair to the horse for you to be so on and off about what you "love". I'd at least wait a few years before deciding. So many girls grow out of "loving" horses. It's a huge commitment. You sure you'll be out there every day to do all the chores, not to mention, riding? You may be ready ability wise, but that doesn't mean your ready for the time, the hard work, and the huge amount of money that it takes to properly care for a horse.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

#15 ·
I dont think you should buy a horse if you keep changing your mind, its not fair on the animal. You have only been riding for three years and therefore have little experiance in horsecare. I was riding for 10 years before I got my horse (4 months ago) and im learning every day even though I thought I had prepared everything before he came home.
Keep taking lessons (like Speed Racer said), then if you get bored again then there is no real harm done. Try doing client shows/ competitions of your stables do them and see how you feel competing, if you want to go further then lease a horse first, keep the horse at a barn on livery then you will have a little help with the care side of things and there will be plenty of people to give you advice. Good Luck x

#16 ·
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet... my opinion on helping yourself come to a decision is to go WORK at a stable for a while. Find a barn in your area that you can volunteer after school and during the weekends so that you are immersed as much as possible in the day to day WORK involved. It's one thing to take lessons and to lease a horse, but completely different when you are depended upon daily, rain or shine (or snow) to show up and do the WORK. I'm sure a few weeks of that will help you decide.

#22 ·
I think that's the first time I've ever been called a snob...****!! If suggesting that you attain some work experience before you commit to such a large responsibility makes me a snob than so be it. I would rather learn wether or not I could handle the work load before I make the commitment. That's a lot of your parents money you are wanting to spend.... money they WORKED for. The best way to prove to your parents that you can handle it is by showing them you can before they fork it over.

After that last post though... please put off your decision for a few years. A horse would depend on you too much for you to be so flighty about it.

#21 ·
If you can't handle a thread full of good and understanding advice how would you expect to handle the responsibility of caring for and committing to a large, expensive, time consuming animal?

I hope for the horse's sake that you wait until you're older and more mature to make such a big decision.

#25 ·
Even though you have probably left and won't read...

A friend of mine always went through phases of loving horses and wanting one...so she got one...got sick of him...sold him. Then she got obsessed again..bought another horse, got sick of her, and sold her. It wasnt fair on the horse or her parents.

Work at a yard until you realise the full extent of the responsibility.

#26 · (Edited)
LOL this thread. I think everyone here has given really good advice and I agree with them, you don't seem near ready for owning a horse. If you are off and on about your interest in horses, if you can't take constructive feedback, if you get emotional and confused, you are not ready. I would recommend taking more lessons and working at a barn doing barn chores such as feeding, stall cleaning etc. Give yourself some time to settle on yes or no before you decide what you want. Nobody here is being snobby, we are speaking on the best interests of a horse that might suffer the consequences if you buy it and then tire of it.

#27 · (Edited)
Horses aren't like video games or barbie dolls that you can play with when you want, then ignore when you don't. I say with my horse I give up about 75% of my time to him. The rest goes into school and work. It's very time consuming, and it's a heavy commitment.

For me the time and commitment is well worth the satisfaction I get from being with my horse, and I never get bored of my horse, never.

It doesn't seem like owning a horse would be right for you, I'd suggest keeping up with the lessons though.

#29 ·
Oh boy... Well, I'm sure she's gone by now, but I don't think the OP understands the dedication and commitment involved in owning your own horse. You can't just "play" with a horse when you feel like it, and ignore it when you're busy doing other things. If she's been taking lessons for the last three years, it's time to start working around the barn to understand what it takes to actually care for a horse. Many leasing programs are often nothing more than extra rides during the week, and offer no additional insight into horse ownership. Are you prepared to be out at the barn at 1:00 AM if your horse colics? Are you prepared to care for a horse that is lame for a few weeks, unable to ride, that may need bandaging, soaking, etc? Are you willing to learn about nutrition and health to make proper decisions about your horse's care? Even when boarding, you don't get to just dump your horse on a barn owner and expect someone else to handle the care and management of your horse. Judging from other threads started by the OP, there is little understanding of horses beyond using them in riding lessons. I truly hope that "Daddy is NOT convinced" and does not allow the OP to have her own horse, that will most likely end up neglected and dumped in a quick sale in a year.

#30 ·
Well I agree with what has been said. You have to be ready to give up everything for a horse and do what is best for it. And if your not... you shouldn't have one. Im 21 and have had horses my whole life. And never once have I questioned my love for them. I have my own place with 4 horses. And let me tell you. There are many weeks I eat nothing but ramen. While my horses are out in seeded pastures with hay in front of them 24/7 and the best feeds. Are you willing to do that?

#32 ·
There are many weeks I eat nothing but ramen. While my horses are out in seeded pastures with hay in front of them 24/7 and the best feeds. Are you willing to do that?
Ramen noodles, lipton noodle packets and lucky charms are the only staples in my house! I spend more just on Danny's supplements than I do on my own groceries!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.