The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Give it up?

9K views 61 replies 24 participants last post by  iridehorses 
#1 ·
Okay,so i wanted a horse for about a year,then i lost interest in riding and horses all together,then i was opssessed with them,then i wasent.....you get the point. But now, i know it would be great to have a horse, but i am afraid i will lose interest, or even worse regret buying it. I am confused on wether i should keep begging to my dad,or if i should just give up because i dont think i could handle it. I just need someones advice because i never believe in myself...so i just need someone to tell me if i should stick with dogs...or go for a longshot with horses. Am i just wasting my time?
Please answer! this thing is stressing me out!:cry: One morning i will wake up and cant stop thinking about horses...the next morning i cant stop thinking about dogs. I NEED YOUR HELP! Please understand though that i would put a full effort in taking care of a horse,i am just afraid i am not good enough to be able to do it everyday:-(​

#31 · (Edited)
So we're snobs because we think you're not ready for a horse, when by your own admission you're only on-and-off interested in them?

Horses are 90% WORK and 10% fun, dear child. If you're not passionate about them, the rewards won't be worth it.

I love taking care of my horses, but often the weather makes things rather, ahem, challenging. I'll be honest; sometimes I'd rather huddle in the house with a good book, some chocolate, and snuggle up on the couch. But it's my passion for these animals that gets me out and up, and making sure they're taken care of properly.

You seem to have the idea that it's all going to be fun and games, and it's not. It's hard, back breaking work, and if you don't find that to be its own reward, then you're going to be one miserable little cuss and your horse will be neglected.

As I said, horses are a grand passion, not a passing fancy. You either have the bug or you don't. You don't appear to have it.

Too bad for you that you don't like that answer, but our concern is for the animal who might fall into your clutches, not your precious feelings.

#34 ·
Its not your concern to tell me if i have a "passion" or not,I would know if i did...and guess what? I DO. So for you people that actually answered my question,thank you! For those that found some way to offend me, that had nothing to do with what i was talking about...Well poop for you:)

#35 ·
We didn't try and go out of our way to offend you. Guess what? when you grow up and go into the real world there are ALOT of people who can find a way to offend you. You can't let it get to you.

Stop being a brat, that is exactly what you sound like. You CAN'T put a horse though what you're saying. You're very up and down, up and down. You need to get a good head on your shoulders before you even think about owning a horse. And right about now you sound like that girl on charlie and the chocolate factory... Take a step back, breathe deep, and come back when your head isn't up in the clouds.

#37 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry we arent saying "great go buy one" but thats not what you are always going to get when you ask for help. Just because we dont agree with you doesnt mean you came on here to offend a total stranger for blissful purposes. We care about you and your horse, and are going to tell you whats best, even if you dont like it. We dont hate you or think you suck we just dont agree with you. Get over it. Also, ALL the responses on here were to help you so saying "you were just here to offend me and not being relevant" thats not true, thats just trying to defend your sensitive ego.

#38 ·
You'd think when the majority is saying that you shouldn't buy a horse, you'd get it through your thick skull that that is the absolute truth.
Deflate your bloody ego and think about the horse, who cannot speak or scream but still needs a quality of life that just so happens to require a huge amount of work, experience, and knowledge.

#40 ·
I am probably going to get bashed for this (I hope not though!), that isn't my intention at all for that to happen, but I can see why the OP is upset with some of the things said about her. I wouldn't have used the words snobs or whatever she used to respond back, that IS a kinda rude, but I think a lot of you were being pretty harsh on her. Some of the posters did have construtive criticism, but when things like this are said:

It sound like to me you're one of the people who just like to test to see if you can get what you want, then once you do you won't care. 'Ya know?
So my answer is keep up with lessons but no, don't own a horse. :) We don't need anymore homeless ones
(and btw I have NO grudges against the poster of this statement, so please don't think I do! :) it was just an example, in fact I like everyone on here so far.)

then people WILL get offended (and I am guessing >>if she is younger) and she might act a little immature. It might be more effective to tell the OP in a way to where it will be beneficial to her if she does want a horse (like many of you mentioned waiting until she is absolutely sure she could take care of one without losing interest) IMO the OP is aware of her interests wavering, or else she wouldn't have posted. IMO it is also not up to us to tell the OP or assume whether or not she has a passion for horses. We don't know her personally, but of course since she did post this thread, she might not get feedback she likes so much and especially if she throws jibes at people (it is not needed, she could've expressed she didn't appreciate comments in a different manner), but overall I don't think some should've been so blunt and harsh.

To the OP if you are still here, I agree that you might wait till you are older or more willing to just focus on your passion for horses, as they are fun, but a HUGE responsibility (as was said) and know you might come across feed back here (or in the world as you go through life) you might not like, but be willing to take whatever criticism is given to you and apply it to your life in a positive way, rather than the way you did express yourself. It does no one good to bicker IMO.

~AL615

#41 · (Edited)
I am probably going to get bashed for this (I hope not though!), that isn't my intention at all for that to happen, but I can see why the OP is upset with some of the things said about her. I wouldn't have used the words snobs or whatever she used to respond back, that IS a kinda rude, but I think a lot of you were being pretty harsh on her. Some of the posters did have construtive criticism, but when things like this are said:
If harsh is what it takes to get people to understand that horses aren't objects that we can love one minute and disregard another then so be it. I don't regret, nor would I take back what I have said.
You know where I got my mare from? A girl who sounded just like wannahorse and who got everything she wanted, and once she got a horse that she had been begging for, for awhile, she got sick of that horse, and it sat in her back yard for 5 years. So excuse me for putting in my two cents when I see this replaying again.

Like everyone else said, we're looking out for the welfare of the horse.

And lets not forget that I work at a rescue and boarding farm, where I see girls ALL the time like her. When they first brought their horse to the barn they came almost everyday, but then once they got over their horse "fever" they came maybe every three months, on a good day.

#42 ·
yeah i think AL615 is right in saying the OP is probably very young, i think the OP should think a little more of what she wants, she seems to have changed her mind several times since this thread started! i wanted a horse when i was 5 :P, didnt get one until i was 17. my parents knew nothing about horses so couldnt help me look after it. op- if you think you can look after your horse on your own and you are old enough and mature enought to then consider it, but i think you should bored the horse so less pressure is on you.

#44 ·
I totally see where your coming from White Foot, it is really sad about the amount of animals given up because their owners simply lose interest in them :(

I don't think the OP saw (understood) where you were coming from, but at least she said before she would just go out, after she convinced her dad, and get one, she'd give it time. Hopefully she will be aware by that time whether or not she will be willing to make a long-term commitment for a horse and make a good decision for both herself and a horse.

~AL615

#45 · (Edited)
Appy, my greatest concern is because she herself admitted that one minute she thinks she loves horses, and then the next doesn't want to be bothered with them.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're not absolutely, positively, unwavering in your desire, you shouldn't take on the care of a living, breathing creature. The one who gets the short end of the stick will be the horse, and I find that intolerable.

The OP should continue to take lessons, as well as get a weekend/after school job taking care of horses. Mucking, feeding, watering, sweeping aisleways, grooming, bathing, cleaning tack, hauling feed and hay, and on occasion helping to keep fences repaired may make her realize that horses really are hard work, and not all fun and games.

We're talking about a living animal, not a My Little Pony. You can put down a My Little Pony and walk away. You can't do that with a real horse. Whether or not someone 'feels like it', horses need to be cared for and kept properly exercised.

#46 ·
OP, here is an idea for you until you get a little older and are more sure buying a horse is the right thing for you.
Take the money you would have spent on board/lease and take more lessons per week.
You will get more ride time and have the extra benefit of extra lessons.
And the idea of seeing if you can help out part time at the barn is a great one too.

#48 ·
Maybe I'll ease up if she can answer these questions:

How do you plan on buying a horse?

How much do you plan on spending?

Where are you going to keep the horse? At your house? At a barn?

If you keep it at your house where will you get the money to build a shed/barn, and put up fence?

Where and how much will you pay for hay and grain?

If you board how will you make money to pay for board?

How would you get to the barn whenever you wanted to go?

How much per month do you think a horse cost?

How much are you going to spend on tack, and horse products?

How do you plan on paying for vet bills?

And what are you going to do with the horse when you go to college?

#49 ·
I have been looking at online horse ads. Lets say me and my dad went to look at one...we would bring the owner/head instructor at the horse barn i ride at weekly. I plan on spending 0-$7500. My family recently bought 10 acres there is alredy a barn there that my dad refurbished,and we had a Morton pole barn built, and they just got the roof on our new house! So i calculated to yearly cost if i board or if i kept it at home...i decided i would keep it on our property ( and yes i know its a ton of work, but i am more than willing to do it) And for all the money-related questions: i will do more chores around the house, and use my b-day/xmas money to help with costs. But i cant legally get a job. Not trying to brag in any way..but my dad owns a company so we can afford it (that is if the horse is kept on our property) I figured out that the annual cost (estimate) for feed (including grain+hay) would be around $800. Idk the per month cost but the per year cost is around $1800. When i go to college i will either lease out the horse at my barn ride at currently, or sell it (i would really rather lease it out though:D) So thats what i have so far. Thankyou for actually asking me questions instead of flat-out telling me i couldent handle it:)

#50 ·
It's good to see you are doing some research... and I did ask you a few of those same questions, your answers are encouraging, but I'm still of the opinion that working at a barn for a while before you decide is the best idea. From a parent's point of view: If my daughter were to spend her summer working at a stable, doing all the dirty work that entails in order to prove to me she could handle it... she would get her horse. The proof is in the pudding :)

Now my reality is this... my daughter does have her own horse, I own Milo and she owns Lil Blackie but I take care of both of them because her passion for horses comes and goes.....

#51 ·
Sorry! I didnt see your questions:) I would, but i am not really sure i can work at a local barn (cant tell for safety reasons)and anyway i dont really enjoy being around the barn all the time, bacuase alot of the people can be....stuck-up,"stuffy" whatever you want to call it. That kinda pushes me away from being there all the time...

#52 ·
I forgot to add..I know this may sound self-centered but, i enjoy taking care of horses in my own way. You know what i mean? Like big barns all they do is throw some hay on their stall floor and let them eat it. Where as i want to measure it and make sure everything is perfect. Because it would be mine, and i would want to make all the decisions for it,andcare for it:D I know it may sound cheezy, but i just want a horse that i can come home to after the hatred school and take care of..and talk to and stuff....does anyone get it??? I have 3 brothers and no sisters so yeah....

#53 ·
I understand you want A horse but from what you've said your going to depend on your parents for everything. You want one so bad but yet in what? 5 years or so you're going to college and probably going to sell it?

I don't think you fully understand how hard it is going to be to keep a horse, at your age, and at your house, on your own. Let alone when you go to college it's the hardest thing in the world trying to balance work, school, and a life. Trust me, I'm trying to do it now.

And just like my parents did I'm almost positive your parents will complain and nag about how expensive your horse is. It gets old after awhile.

What I'm trying to get at is I think your just in love with the idea of having a horse, like previous posters have said.

#54 ·
wannahorse22-

If I were you I would take riding lessons or volunteer at a stable. That is what I am going to do. I recently signed up for an online public school and I babysit my 8 month old cousin 3 times a week. So I have 4 days that I could volunteer. I looked around my home town and found a stable. There are only 3 horses. I am going to ask if I could help out, like mucking stalls or grooming.

I have little to no experience with horses and i am 15. My mom wants me to try saving up money for drivers ed, but I would rather save it for riding lessons. I am fully commited to horses and I will do what ever I can to be with them again. :)

What I am getting at is that you should really volunteer at a stable. You get to see what it is really like.

My mom always says that is she wins the power ball that she will get me a horse. I always tell her that i wouldn't want one because I have no experience and that I would want to use my own money.

Hope I helped :)

#55 ·
Good to see you are really trying to research horses before you go out and get one, Working around horses is another thing people have mentioned, that can really help you learn about the care and responsibility involved with owning a horse.

~AL615

#61 ·
I think take up lessons again this way or only commitment would be turning up every day! next thing I would do is if you find that you like it, love it even then i would take out a horse on lease , this way your commiting but it is not as big of a commitment as buying your own horse!mayby even offer help at your local barn grooming, tacking up and caring for the horses their on a regular basis!
If you still dont have any intrest then i would advise you to just give it up and go back to having lessons!
And why dont you if your wanting a dog so much just go to your nerest shelter and adopt one! see how it goes but all i would say is dont go rushing in to something your not 1000000000% commmited to! I love horses and wake up everymorning thinking about them and go to sleep everynight thinking about them too! I cant imagine my life without them in it some way or another! There is'nt 1 minute were i dont have them in my mind! Im not saying that this should be the same for you Im just saying that if you think about them one day and then the other the nothing , that tells me that your not sure weather or not you really do want them in your life?
But one things for sure: do not buy one until your a million percent sure your ready and willing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.