The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Blanket Rub On Shoulder! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/blanket-rub-shoulder-47927/)

MyLittleHunter 02-14-2010 06:06 PM

Blanket Rub On Shoulder!

So Dallas really needs a heavy blanket in the winter, I'm north and he has very little winter coat. Problem is it rubs his shoulders to there is a patch on each shoulder about the a little bigger than quarter that is littler with shorter hair. I'm rubbing show sheen on it now that I have notice it has begun rubbing to try to decrease rubbing. I need him to look good for shows. Any advice to grow the hair back quicker or stop the rubbing?

Rodeo Pro 02-14-2010 06:28 PM

I had the same problem I use the jammies shoulder guard and have never had that problem again!

riccil0ve 02-14-2010 06:32 PM

Same as above, get your pony a bra, and he'll no longer suffer from blanket rubs. =]

Also, you can get a different blanket that fits better. If the blanket is rubbing, it's usually because of the fit. It won't kill him to stay in what he has though, just a thought.

In the meantime, you can use MTG on the rubbed parts to help the hair grow.

MyLittleHunter 02-14-2010 06:46 PM

Okay thanks for the great advice! He has a slightly lighter blanket that doesn't rub and I'll try to get him shoulder guard. I have some MTG I'll put on the rubs.

gilchrist 02-16-2010 04:49 PM

Hi, I live in the UK and we use a neck protector, it's like a sash, that goes under rugs to stop rubbing, not sure if you can buy it over there. My mum used to sow sheepskin on the inside of the rug and keep moving forward, night and morning, hope this helps maree:grin:

nrhareiner 02-16-2010 06:45 PM

All my horses have either shoulder guards or full body sleezys. Keep then from getting blanket rubs.

My Beau 02-16-2010 08:08 PM

Bossy Bibs are awesome!

Have to be ordered from the UK, but soooo worth it. Check 'em out:
Bossy's Bibs Web Site - www.bossysbibs.com

eventerdrew 02-16-2010 08:14 PM

hey sorry to hijack the thread, but what if jammies make it worse? Uma got blanket rubs and I put on some jammies and now they are worse!

CecilliaB 02-16-2010 08:23 PM

Was going to ask the same exact thing. I have this issue to.

Bluemoonlvr 02-20-2010 04:05 PM

My pony has the same problem. We use a shoulder guard. But at my barn we call them Wonder Bras(: it helps a lot.