The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Rearing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/rearing-4799/)

horse_luver4e 12-17-2007 05:00 PM

Rearing

Does anyone know how to teach a horse to rear. Do you just cue the horse to go forward while holding back the reins?

Frog 12-17-2007 07:28 PM

You want your horse to rear??!! What the... :shock:

drop_your_reins 12-17-2007 07:43 PM

When I have my horse in longe lines he'll sometimes do a little rear if he gets frustrated and doesn't know what I want (when I really want him to canter, but bc I don't have my legs I use the inside longe line to cue him but he doesn't quite grasp the whole "heavy inside rein=canter when woman is not on me" and he just trots with a lot of impulsion and his head practically to his chest. so then I halt him and yell at him and he does a little rear as if to say "I DONT GET IT".. even though he can canter on voice command and will canter with a light inside rein and no leg when I ride him.. eventually he gets it though and he's gotten a lot better.. I was actually thinking about training him to rear from the ground since he is so willing.. but I would never teach him under saddle.)

Anyway the cues smokey gets when he wants to rear are me halting him heavy on the inside rein and encouraging him forward.. But I definately wouldn't encourage your horse to rear with you under him.. that would just tell him that rearing is an okay behavior and its bound to get out of control (like when you really want him to do something else and he thinks you want him to rear.. or when someone rides him and thinks their cueing him to say "back" and he rears... no bueno)

I would train my horse to rear in longe lines, maybe on voice command.. but he would seriously get smacked if he ever reared under me. idk thats JMHO.

horse_luver4e 12-17-2007 08:53 PM

no not in a bad way I'm saying when I cue her she will rear up. It's part of trick training, nothing bad about it.

luvs2ride79 12-17-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horse_luver4e
no not in a bad way I'm saying when I cue her she will rear up. It's part of trick training, nothing bad about it.

:roll: You say that now... Just wait until she decides it's "fun" and an easy way to get out of harder work. Then come back and tell us there's "nothing bad about it." There is a REASON why those Hollywood trick trainers are paid so much money. You really have to know what you're doing to train a horse like that properly.

Why don't you do something easier, like teach her how to count, bow, "sit", and "fetch" things. Those tricks may get annoying if your horse decides to use them to act up, but at least they're not dangerous...

buckaroo2010 12-17-2007 09:09 PM

i had a friends horses that did that some times I thought it was pretty cool..but i would be very careful :D :)

horse_luver4e 12-17-2007 09:17 PM

...anyway does anyone know how to teach them that or was that the right way to do it?

AKPaintLover 12-18-2007 01:49 PM

I would not teach a 3 year old to rear! (even in a good way) That is asking for trouble. It may be cute and fun when you want it, but from age 3-5 or so, horses in training LOVE to test their humans and what they can get away with. When you begin asking for something, she might play the game, "you want me to rear, okay" :)

This is something that I might teach an older, totally finished horse, and even then, I would think long and hard about it. If the horse ever goes to a different home (which happens often with horses as riders and horses realize different talents), a horses who rears on command can be a liability for potential buyers, and may discourage people from wanting to ride it.

You posted before about how to teach spins correct?? Teaching to rear and teaching to spin are a BAD combo. My boy naturally began doing rear moves mixed in with spins because it is such a hind end activity freeing up the front anyway. He began testing the waters, saying "is this what you want??"

You have also posted before about jumping in the near future correct?? How is teaching a young horse to jump and rear a good combo.

I agree with other posters, maybe try teaching shake, bow, spanish walk, etc. AVOID REARING until she is at least older and much farther in training.

That is my opinion...take it or leave it :)

Barn Sour 12-18-2007 05:01 PM

I've taught all my horses to rear up on command and they are very obedient. You just have to lean back a little to get the weight off the shoulders and lightly spur behind the girth while holding the reins up aginst the mouth and hold till the horse stands up on the back legs. As soon as the front feet leave the ground, release all pressure.

Bom Sorte!

horse_luver4e 12-18-2007 10:11 PM

thanx! :D