The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Final questions for coaching program (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/final-questions-coaching-program-48007/)

ReiningTrainer 02-15-2010 04:41 PM

Final questions for coaching program

If you have a moment I have one last question for people regarding trail riding or any discipline really. You can either answer on my blog page or here.

My final question before starting the program is "What are the top two things you need from your horse while riding?"

Thank you again to all of you who took the time to share your challenges faced on trail, it was all great information and helped me a bunch.

If you could take the time again, now, and share with me again, I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time and hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day.

kevinshorses 02-15-2010 04:56 PM

I need a horse to try for me and I need them to "follow my feel" and respond to me. I hate a horse that lacks try more than anything else.

justsambam08 02-16-2010 01:44 PM

I agree with Kevin; I need response, and I also need awareness. I can't ride something that has "tunnel vision" and is too busy waiting for me to give a cue to pay attention to whats going on in the rest of the world.

southerncowgirl93 02-16-2010 09:26 PM

^^Both good answers, and in addition to that, I would say that I'd like the horse to have sense! Not trying to be an idiot and show off for mares, still try to toss a rider, etc. I'd like them to be a quick learner.

ridergirl23 02-16-2010 10:16 PM

A horse that is focused on what i am asking, but also aware of whats going on around her. one that understands the terrain and what to do so that i dont need to 'babysit' it the whole ride :)

sandy2u1 02-17-2010 12:58 AM

I think a trail horse should be able to handle steep, rocky and slippery terrain. I like knowing that my horse will find his footing and step easy. I ride a walking horse...I love his running walk, but when I say walk, I mean for him to do it slow and easy. I think for safety reasons it is best to have a horse that doesn't overreact when spooked. No matter how long your horse has been on the trail, sooner or later your gonna come up on something that surprises or spooks him. Horses will react of course, but some will get really crazy.