The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   The problem with Arabs... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/problem-arabs-48008/)

MacabreMikolaj 02-15-2010 06:41 PM

The problem with Arabs...

Just so my title isn't misconstrued, I'm not blaming this as solely an Arabian problem, but in my experience they do tend to have issues with it, keeping with the high head carriage they naturally have.

Ok, so my problem lately is Zierra. I've kind of been out of anything except trail riding for quite awhile and Zierra's training has gone virtually into the crapper. Which now means she's decided she doesn't need to listen to the bit, period.

Shay-las begun working with her, now that Cinder is retired and essentially the problem is her pointing her nose straight into the air and running away. She's ridden in a loose ring french link snaffle. She's fine if you keep a small circle - you can walk, trot, canter and keep her nose in a relatively "natural" position, and encourage her to give to the bit and bring her head around. She knows leg pressure, she bends nicely, and is overall an ok mare to ride.

The problem is "straight-aways". The minute you stop riding circles, that nose flies up and she bolts. You can get her under control, but the resulting gait is a bouncing, choppy pogo Arab canter with you practically hauling her mouth off to prevent her from going any faster. This is obviously completely counter productive. She will behave the exact same way at a trot, the minute you leave the circle - trotting with her nose sky high and attempting to canter.

In the past, I actually had my Dressage coach show me how to use draw reins because we had so much difficulty bringing her nose out of the clouds. Does anybody have any OTHER suggestions? I do know how to use draw reins, but I'm wondering if this should be my resort or if there are possibly other solutions I can examine?

As a note, this is when riding her English. The minute she feels a bit in her mouth, she seems to know she can get away with murder. If I throw the Western and a hackamore on her, she behaves almost perfectly, and I can lope loose rein circles on her. I DON'T get what her hang up is with the bit. She's been like this virtually from day one.

Thanks in advance. As a note, this is made even more difficult by the fact that we have no arena, just a snow covered YARD to school in. We've tried "shutting her down" by spinning a tight circle, but the footing just isn't good enough for that, hence our frustration when she gets silly with her head.

masatisan 02-15-2010 07:47 PM

My half-arab has the exact opposite problem, he "pig-roots" when he's not in a listening mood, I've never seen another horse canter with his nose between his legs like Caleb does.

A martingale could help, but that's more of a band-aid than a real solution.

Eli 02-15-2010 07:56 PM

Gee I'm glad your not assuming you have an arab problem, any horse that runs around with it's head in the air has a less than desirable gait.

I'd have her teeth checked. But it could also be that she is just plain worried about her mouth. Your comments about are concerning. You should first off be asking her to slow down with your seat. Eventually the result will be that she will slow down with the seat aid alone.

MacabreMikolaj 02-15-2010 08:09 PM

^

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I have owned Arabians my entire life. I do not blame problems on them being Arabians. What I am saying is that due to her natural head carriage being her nose in the air, I encounter this problem more with Arabs then other breeds - bringing the head up past the degree of control.

I've ridden her in a martingale most of her life due to this problem. We got it sorted out briefly when I was taking lessons and working regularly with a coach, and even she couldn't get that darn nose out of the clouds without throwing her in draw reins for a few weeks. A chiropractor actually told us that when horses bring their heads up that high, they trigger an endorphin release which is what makes them continue carrying their head that high - basically, they're getting "high".

I'd be more then happy to work on my seat, if you could kindly tell me exactly how. At this point, you're so busy wrestling for control, using your seat is quite a moot point. I'm beginning to think she needs to go straight back to basics and learning how to listen to the bit and give at the walk and trot before bothering with any canter.

This is how she runs around normally, so that is the only reason I blame it partially as an Arab problem - she's already used to having her head ridiculously high, so it's easy for her to evade the bit by doing what comes naturally:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rkRodeo042.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rkRodeo043.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rkRodeo049.png

MacabreMikolaj 02-15-2010 08:10 PM

Oh and she's had her teeth checked before. She could probably use another exam, but she's done this her entire life and her teeth have always been the first place me and/or my coach at the time looked. Nada.

roro 02-15-2010 08:11 PM

Teach her (and yourself) the pulley rein. You can get her to stop without pulling her in a tight circle that way and she will be sensitized to your 'whoa' aids. If she tries to run off, you use the pulley rein. As for the contact, try holding your hands wider apart to encourage her to reach for the contact. Once she reaches with your hands wider apart, you can slowly start bringing them back to normal position while she stays in contact. Keep your seat deep, down, and upright. Set the pace with your seat, don't allow her to force your seat forward. Relax your body, particularly your arms. Know that I am only saying these as general ideas as I cannot see the actual problem with my own eyes, there may be a specific issue that cannot be discovered without a video/pictures.

crazyequine 02-15-2010 08:15 PM

I second Eli's sentiments. I am sorry you have a problem with your horse - but please choose your words carefully as we don't need to fuel the fire when it comes to the "stigma" the Arabians are already under! It's a training issue...not an Arabian issue. Any horse that is running way with you with it's head in the air is going to produce an undesireable gait!!!

In your post you indicated that you ride in a western hackamore and that she has been out of training for quite a while and you both have just been trail riding. Maybe try another bit..perhaps a single joint snaffle? She obviously has not ridden in a bit for a long time and you might need to get back to basics.

If you are in a situation with a bolting horse, try the one rein stop method. By just pulling back on both reins evenly, the horse can lean on that even pressure, or even grab the bit in her teeth. No person is going to out match the strength of a horse. By just pulling on one rein, the pressure is unevenly distributed in the horse’s mouth, and she can't take advantage of this. Slowly pull the horse’s head to your leg. I don't mean to rip her into a tight circle either.

If your footing is bad then perhaps hauling to an arena might be an option.

Good luck!

MacabreMikolaj 02-15-2010 08:16 PM

Thanks roro. I'll work on that.

I think I made her out to sound more "problematic" then she is. She's never run away with anyone - well, except an annoying ex-boyfriend who liked to brag. She's sensitive enough you can rein her in, but I'm just worried about the bit ruining her mouth. I've ridden her almost exclusively Western in the last couple years due to not having a coach.

As a note, she's almost 100% controllable if you have a tie down on her. This is obviously a quickfix, but what I'm saying is that it's her getting that nose into the air that is the entire problem. When she has a tiedown on, she listens, she doesn't get over excited, and she's very soft in the mouth. I gamed her this past summer in a snaffle and had a perfect whoa on her.

The problem is entirely her getting that nose up when nothing holds it down, and it being virtually impossible to control her without hauling on her when it's that high. I've tried everything to encourage her to drop her head, which she does quite nicely on a circle but then gets silly on the straight aways.

I'll try your suggestions to get her to relax. Do you think the pulley rein could work by teaching her that when I ask for canter it does not mean gallop? Or would that just rough up her mouth even more?

MacabreMikolaj 02-15-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyequine (Post 554007)
I second Eli's sentiments. I am sorry you have a problem with your horse - but please choose your words carefully as we don't need to fuel the fire when it comes to the "stigma" the Arabians are already under! It's a training issue...not an Arabian issue. Any horse that is running way with you with it's head in the air is going to produce an undesireable gait!!!

In your post you indicated that you ride in a western hackamore and that she has been out of training for quite a while and you both have just been trail riding. Maybe try another bit..perhaps a single joint snaffle? She obviously has not ridden in a bit for a long time and you might need to get back to basics.

If you are in a situation with a bolting horse, try the one rein stop method. By just pulling back on both reins evenly, the horse can lean on that even pressure, or even grab the bit in her teeth. No person is going to out match the strength of a horse. By just pulling on one rein, the pressure is unevenly distributed in the horse’s mouth, and she can't take advantage of this. Slowly pull the horse’s head to your leg. I don't mean to rip her into a tight circle either.

If your footing is bad then perhaps hauling to an arena might be an option.

Good luck!

She used to ride in a single joint as a younger mare and hated it. I switched her to the french link for that purpose.

The high head, actually, is completely an Arab issue. It is her NATURAL carriage to have it high. Therefore, it is more difficult for her, then most other breeds, to bring it down. When she gets excited, it gets worse. Yes, at this point it is a training problem, but it is compounded by the fact that it resulted from her natural head carriage. I have not experience this problem on any horse that did not have natural high head carriage. Yes, horses will throw their heads up, but even when Zierra is BEHAVING her head is HIGH.

Hauling to an arena is not an option. Our trailer is buried in about five feet of snow with no way to get it out.

crazyequine 02-15-2010 08:24 PM

Well by the sounds of it I thought she was running off with you! Now she's almost 100% controllable..okay then...let me change my train of thought...

Tie downs - quick fixes and addicting (but you know that!)
When her head is up - presuming she's not "taking off on you" - give her the reins, don't give her something to "fight" with (like pulling with all your might)...this works with some horses as they realize there's no "fun" (for lack of a better word) in it anymore.
or...
pull her into a larger circle with that one rein (like I mentioned above). If she is almost 100 % controllable you mostly likely can get her into a large cirle.