The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   General Off Topic Discussion (/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Kennedy Space Center (

Lucara 02-16-2010 03:25 PM

Kennedy Space Center
I went to the Kennedy Space Center with my dad and step mom. It was a blast! Haha

Rocket Garden (all are completely functional rockets)

Shuttle Launch Site

Ares Rocket Launch Site

Tour Bus!

It was a polite bus.

My favorite part of the whole day. The crawler transport was up and running, bring back the launch pad from the previous launch. The one of the only pieces of machinery that hasn't changed since the first rocket was launched into space. Empty, it weighs 6million tons and goes a max of 2mph. It takes roughly 8+ hours for it to get the shuttle to the launch site.

Shuttle goes here!

The crawler has 8 tracks. Each track has 57 "shoes". Each shoe weights just under 2 tons a piece.

Our tour bus drove under the launch pad that the crawler was carrying!

Lucara 02-16-2010 03:33 PM

Space shuttle engine

Inside the bottom of the engine

The Vehicle Assembly Building. Its the worlds largest single story building. It was originally built to accommodate the Saturn V rocket.

These gray bars down the sides are actually doors to allow shuttles and rockets in and out for assembly prior to launching.

It takes 45minutes for the doors to completely open. They had just started when we were driving by

The Saturn V Rocket. It was/ still is the largest rocket ever created.

I couldn't fit the whole thing into one frame

Connector numbah 1

Connector numbah 2

Inside one of the Saturn V's engines

A tree outside!

Lucara 02-16-2010 03:36 PM

Size reference for the Saturn V

Allen Shepard's Corvette

The original consoles used during the Apollo 13's launch. It was my favorite show.

irydehorses4lyfe 02-16-2010 03:40 PM

:-) Wow, the place has changed quite a bit since I was last there!

Isn't it such an awestruck feeling seeing something so huge as the crawler moving right in front of you? :D

TaMMa89 02-16-2010 03:43 PM

Looks like a lots of fun! I bet it'd be neat to visit at a space center some day.

my2geldings 02-17-2010 03:16 PM

:shock: phenomenal pictures! thank you so much for taking all the time to share those pictures. Must have been so neat to be there! Loved them!!

Lobelia Overhill 02-17-2010 04:00 PM

Thanks for posting! Fantastic photos, I've always want to go there...

Speed Racer 02-17-2010 04:23 PM

My older brother Terry works there. Wonder if he was on the crawler the day you were there?

He worked on the shuttle for years, and they transferred him to the crawler about 5 years ago.

He's been there since he was in his late 20s, and loves the job.

He's always e-mailing us cool pictures of the place and the shuttles. Glad you had a good time.

Pinto Pony 02-17-2010 06:24 PM

Thanks for sharing! I would love to get a chance to do the tour. And thats so neat your brother works there, Speed Racer. Do you get to see "behind the scenes"???

Speed Racer 02-18-2010 11:21 AM

Yep Pinto, he sends us pictures of inside the shuttle, shuttle building, and crawler, and things that the tourists don't normally get to see.

He also sends some amazing pictures when they're in space, as well as the shuttle coming home on the back of a jet.

I've never been there, but I could probably find my way around just because of all the pictures I've seen! :lol: