The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Protien (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/protien-48128/)

MIEventer 02-17-2010 12:08 AM

Protien

What feeds out there have a high count of protien? Or anything I can add to his already feed to get a higher count of protien?

Nelson is lacking in muscle after his episode with his hock, and colic - and I want to help him build a topline again and muscle through our 1/2 hour riding schedules.

Any ideas?

southerncowgirl93 02-17-2010 12:24 AM

Go to your local feed store and ask. They should be able to steer you in the right direction. Look for the ones with 11-14% crude protein. The higher it is, the more energy they will have. As far as helping get his muscle up, I don't know if the protein will help, but lots of exercised will. :) Hope I helped a little.

My Beau 02-17-2010 07:57 AM

Blue Seal makes a 16% pelleted feed called Contender. Don't know if you want to go that high or not... they have a 14% called Hunter.

What brand is Nelson on now?

Jake and Dai 02-17-2010 08:52 AM

Senior Formula | www.triplecrownfeed.com

This has 14% and a higher fat content for older horses. My mare is on it and while she is a pasture puff at the moment, she is doing very nicely on it.

MIEventer 02-17-2010 09:18 AM

Nelson is on Purina Senior.

Purina Mills Equine Senior® Horse Feed

He was on 4 pounds before he coliced, and then went down to a handful. Right now he is at 3 1/2 pounds of P.S until I can gradually increase him back to 4, my Vet wants him at 5.

As much as I love Tripple Crown, no one supplies that product here anymore - everyone has gone to Buckeye, Purina and another brand that I cannot remember.....mind has gone blank.

qtrhrsecrazy 02-17-2010 09:26 AM

Alfalfa pellets are typically 17% protein if you wanted to add some to his feed, or in between feedings

Peggysue 02-17-2010 11:33 AM

Purina Senior is lacking in quality protien. Why not go with Gro N Win then add some alfalfa pellets for additional calories??

Jake and Dai 02-17-2010 12:10 PM

I actually have to travel a few towns over to find Triple Crown, but it's worth it for my girl.

Ok...off topic comment to Peggy Sue (sorry MIE :oops:). I saw on another forum you found the company that owns Buckeye and were marvelling at the other people/pet brands they own. I happen to work for that company!

But unfortunately, I'd have to travel really far to find Buckeye (at least the last time I checked).

Peggysue 02-17-2010 12:38 PM

Buckeye was the first Ration Balancer I tried. I no longer use it because the price kept going UP. But it is a good brand of Ration Balancer and honestly I like it BETTER then Triple Crown.

MIEventer 02-17-2010 09:40 PM

Would adding Grow And Win to my already Purina Senior help? Or what about Purina Ultium?

Or what about Buckeye Senior?