The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Emmett's horn is wiggly? (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/emmetts-horn-wiggly-48180/)

Brianna6432 02-17-2010 06:13 PM

Emmett's horn is wiggly?

My goat's has two horns ( obviously, ha. ), one horn is cracked directly across the middle and it's wiggly when I touch it. I can't tell if Emmett is in pain because he has always gotten uncomfortable when I grab or touch his horn...either horn.
So...it's wiggly and cracked. What do I do? And he sometimes rubs it against things and whacks at my dog with it... so he's not leaving it be.

3neighs 02-17-2010 06:44 PM

I had a goat that had a similar thing going on. I bought him and another one as young kids and they had been de-budded, but it wasn't done correctly because they both ended up growing horns. Well, one only grew one horn and the other grew both horns, but they weren't normal. One was growing in a way that if we left it go it would have grown into his skull so it had to be cut off. The other one was wobbly and would grow to a certain length and then it would break off. There weren't any nerves from being de-budded and it never bled, but it irritated him because he would always rub it against something. I don't know if that's the case with your goat, but we just left it alone and let him get rid of it himself.

Indyhorse 02-17-2010 11:10 PM

When a goat hasn't been disbudded (and Emmett hasn't, judging by the pictures of him) their horns have a blood supply and nerve system. Depending on how far up the crack is, you could be risking it breaking off and exposing all that, it can actually be a fairly traumatic event. Your best bet is to try to stabilize the horn and support it best you can until it grows out. This is one time where you are blessed that you only have one goat - he probably doesn't butt all that much without another goat to butt back, and right now that's a saving grace. Try to get a good safe epoxy or something on the horn - failing that, even duct tape is better than nothing.