The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Stronger Hooves? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/stronger-hooves-482/)

mynameisntlola 01-25-2007 07:55 PM

Stronger Hooves?

Ok, so my three horses are all barefoot right now and have been since the end o' Fall. I definitely wanna keep em that way and hopefully not shoe em at all.

Right now their hooves are fairly strong and haven't been chippin or nuthin but I also haven't been doin any work with em because of the winter (the ground is a solid sheet of ice).

I will ask my farrier to kinda round the edges to reduce potential chipping of the hooves. I have also heard of putting kickin rings on their feet to "stimulate hoof growth". Does anyone know if this helps?

But other than that is there anything that I can feed them to help healthy hoof growth? Nothin like supplements or products that are supposed to make hooves stronger. But like how if you feed your horse some corn oil in his feed everyday it's supposed to help his coat, that's the type of thing I mean.

Hope that was kind of clear, I didn't know ho to say what I meant really. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Skippy! 01-25-2007 11:14 PM

We used Farrier's Formula on Skip, and it made his feet grow like weeds! This is very helpful if you need to grow out a new set of hooves fast :) its also full of nutrients and vitamins which make the coat shineeeey!

I think Horseshoers Secret is a knock-off of Farrier's Formula. Personally, I recommend Farrier's Formula :)

-Skippy!

savepitbulls 01-29-2007 11:21 PM

There are lots of biotin supplements out there. Lots of herbal supplements too. You can find them in just about evey horse magazine and online store.

rogerbourdon 02-01-2007 09:58 AM

Biotin Supplements Will Definitely Help.

Certainly Biotin supplements are recommended Biotin aids cell growth and division, but you need more than just Biotin supplements. It takes more than biotin to build a better hoof such as Sulfur-bearing amino acids, including methionine. Whilst there is little written about the use methionine in a horse’s diet, but it seems sensible to supplement this amino acid if poor hoof quality is the problem. But don’t worry, you will find methionine listed on the label of many hoof supplements.

Another nutrient to consider is that of zinc, a mineral affecting the health and of hair and skin as well as hooves. So if you are not using a mixed feed with supplemental levels of zinc, you need to look to supplement them.
Whatever you do, don’t exceed the recommended doses of any horse supplement, an excess will do more harm than good.
Do also bear in mind that horses grow a new hoof wall at the rate of a quarter to a third of an inch a month, so it can take a long time for a hoof to repair itself to the point your farrier can trim it.

As for kicking rings, as their name suggests they were designed to stop a horse from kicking or pawing, but they do have a side effect of massaging the coronary band as the horse walks around, which does stimulate the hoof.

daveb 02-04-2007 12:44 AM

There are two things you can feed that are proven to help hoof strength -- Biotin and DL-Methionine. Biotin is a B vitamin and DL-Methionine is an amino acid.

Studies with the Lippizaners showed that horses supplemented with these grew much stronger hooves.

If your horses are out on good pasture, they can usually produce enough Biotin themselves. In the winter, or under other times you are feeding mostly hay, you might want to consider supplementing.