The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Do your stalls have solid doors?? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/do-your-stalls-have-solid-doors-48287/)

JumpingTheMoon 02-18-2010 10:29 PM

Do your stalls have solid doors??

Potentially moving to the biggest barn on the facility... if I do... (and that's a huge if) the stalls are built with solid doors with bars at the top and on the walls. Which is fine. But if the horses are in they can't hang their heads out.

Again, no big deal.

It would be nice to get stall guards, but I'm not sure what would be cost effective and safe.

My Beau 02-18-2010 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I boarded at a barn with solid doors for 5 years. Never had any problems- if anything it was better since it was a large facility, as there were no horses reaching out ther stalls to sniff/bite other horses walking by.

We did use this type of stall guard when we were grooming or tacking up:
Stall Chain - Dover Saddlery.

Here's a pic (sorry for the lousy quality, it's from my phone):
Attachment 25442

JumpingTheMoon 02-18-2010 10:52 PM

Cool I saw those! They wouldn't be too bad actually.

The barn aisle is quite wide.. at least 14ft. So horses should be safe from snap happy ponies lol.

ilovestitch 02-19-2010 08:05 AM

The facility sounds nice! I have been at barns with both and I actually prefer the door.

eventerdrew 02-19-2010 08:29 AM

I prefer solid doors as two of my horses do not respect stall guards. I have dutch doors with a 4 1/2 ft solid bottom door and a top door with wood framework and bars in the middle. I made my doors extra tall because of 17hh monstro Uma ;)

Alwaysbehind 02-19-2010 08:52 AM

I prefer solid doors too. Even with a wide aisle when there are horses on both sides a horse going down the aisle really can be intimidated which leads to risk to the person leading the horse.

mls 02-19-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 557514)
I prefer solid doors too. Even with a wide aisle when there are horses on both sides a horse going down the aisle really can be intimidated which leads to risk to the person leading the horse.

Very true. I have heard horror stories from the barn down the road where a horse has bit humans - of course horses too. But people? I would of modified the barn long ago.

We have solid bottoms on the doors. Stalls walls are slatted to allow for air movement. Top half is bars on the stall walls and doors. Back walls have kick boards for protection of the wall and safety for the horse.

Huge compliment from a former boarder the other night. (has her own place now). Stopped in to say hi and she said I have always loved:D the smell in this barn - shavings and clean!

sillybunny11486 02-19-2010 10:09 AM

I prefer solid walls and doors. To me it just looks better.

For stall gaurds, I dont use them. I took care of a few older horse (25-35) and they easily walked right through those double end snaps the gaurds were attached to. There were old arthritic horses, just walking right through them, not even trying to escape. I just dont trust them to keep my horses in.

Alwaysbehind 02-19-2010 10:16 AM

Since I can not edit anymore - Let me add - when I say solid doors I do not mean solid solid. I mean full height.

My stalls have wood up part way and then bars the rest of the way, doors too. Solid only in the sense that the horses can not reach out into the aisle.

JumpingTheMoon 02-19-2010 11:01 AM

Hmm ok. Fair enough.