The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Under the bit! ARGH (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/under-bit-argh-48291/)

ThatNinjaHorse 02-19-2010 12:11 AM

Under the bit! ARGH

So today i took shad out for a trail ride, walk, trot, a bit of canter and short gallop. Theres a really long road that i ride next to on my way home. We were walking along that and i ask for a trot, and he wants to go running off and i keep asking for trot, so he ends up jogging/skipping/jumping around like an idiot :lol: because he wants to run home.
Eventually i get him to trot but he's rushing and bracing against me a bit. So i thought i'd get home and work him a little more, a couple of circles etc to get him listening to me and relaxed. So i take him out back in a paddock, ride him around, he was nice and foward, maybe a little rushed at times but light as a feather. I look down and he's under the bit :-x
He wasnt ducking under the contact, just keeping his head behind the vertical. So i attempt to fix this by pushing him up into the bridle. Nope, didnt work. He'd either bring it up for a second then back down again, or use my leg aids as an excuse to rush off, then when i'd half halt duck under again.
*sigh*
Then i tried doing lots of transitions, that wasnt very successful either. Eventually i got a bit frustrated and decided it was time to get off :lol:

See, even though he was rushing, he was tired, but he's the type that will just keep going untill they drop.
So i think the tiredness definitely did contribute to him going under the bit, but i need a solution, especially since at shows he needs a really good work down otherwise we have a nightmare on our hands.

Sorry if that was kinda long, and i hope i explained it well. So, help? :lol:

Kayty 02-19-2010 01:15 AM

Does he know shoulder in?? I find putting a horse into shoulder in, then turning a 1/2 20m circle, then back to shoulder in for a few repetitions helps to get them coming back up into the bridle as life is much easier when they take a contact!

Try riding him above the vertical. So carry your hands high, push him up but don't allow him to come onto the vertical for a few rides.

maybe have him long and low for a while. Make sure he continues to use his hind legs and doesn't fall float on his face, but allow him to poke her nose and reach out.

MyBoyPuck 02-22-2010 10:27 PM

I second shoulder-in. The process of moving the shoulders to the inside really helps fill in the outside rein. Another thing you might try is two tracks on a circle which is very similar to shoulder-in on a circle but with a little more bend at the neck. My 3rd suggestion is spiral in-spiral out. Good luck.

ThatNinjaHorse 02-28-2010 05:50 AM

Thanks for the replies! No, he doesnt know shoulder in, ill look into that though, and try the other suggestions :)