The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Slaughter (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/slaughter-4831/)

horse_luver4e 12-19-2007 11:17 PM

Slaughter

Hey what do you guys think about the horse slaughter issue?

I've been thinking about it and it's really a puzzle! I mean I HATE to see horses to have to be killed for human and dog consumption, but there are ALOT of abused or abandoned horses out there. Not to mention over breeding.

It's horrifying to see what happens to the horses in those slaughter houses but what are we going to do with them? :(

buckaroo2010 12-19-2007 11:30 PM

I think that horse slaughter is very WRONG! no animal should have to go threw that pain :cry: I dont think its right and it makes me very upset when you hear ppl talking about it...I dont like going to horse sales because you never know where the horses you see there are going to go afterwards..thats the sad part i wish there was some way we could end it

horse_luver4e 12-19-2007 11:38 PM

I know I hate killer buyers! How could anyone waste such a wonderful animal? It sickens me.

BluMagic 12-19-2007 11:53 PM

Earlier this year, I was thinking really HARD about whether to sell Blu or not. After I decided I didn't want to...uhh...Mr. Bond, offered to buy him. The Bonds always compete and win a lot. That's because they have pro trainers for gymkhana that break their horses in then they just ride them to compete and win. It's not fair in my opinion. Anyhow, I think he wanted to either sell him for dog food :cry: or try to make a profit on him. The Bonds often sicken me with teh way they handle their horses. Grrrr...

KIIM 12-20-2007 05:20 AM

I am totaly against horse slaughter. i dont think that it matters that a horse is overbreed, absused or abandoned. abused and abandond horses normally could have been very good horses but they got wrecked because someone didnt look after them. Its not their fault and i'm sure a horse would rather not have that happen to them so it is like punishing them for something that wasn't their fault. Although some of these horses are dangerous from past experiances i think that they still deserve a second chance. In a way i think its like slaughtering all the homeless people or drug addicts and its not their fault that they have problems. No one or no animal deserves to have that happen to them.

Thats my opinion on it.

jazzyrider 12-20-2007 06:11 AM

my opinion is that horse slaughter (along with slaughtering of any animal) is very wrong. i know there are people out there that say it has to happen otherwise we would be over run by abused horses etc but that doesnt right the wrong.

my belief is that all life is sacred and no life deserves to end at the hands of heartless people. there would be such an outcry if abused, neglected or poorly bred people were sent somewhere to be put to death so why no outcry for the animals? what makes us so deserving that we decide what animal lives and dies?? aaaargh!!! *takes a deep breath* sorry! this kind of subject really gets me going

LuLu 12-20-2007 06:37 AM

I am totally against any animal being slaughtered (I am a vegetarian). I just don't see how anyone can bring themselves to eat meat! Some peoples argument is that horses that are slaughtered in England are killed humanely, so if they were to close, what would happen to all the horses that don't have homes?The slaughter houses in America have been banned, but some people disagree with that because now, those horses have just been turned away to fend for themselves, and by keeping the English slaughter houses open, horses won't be left to starve. If people stopped breeding horses for the sake of it (e.g. the mare can no longer be ridden!) this sort of thing would not happen!!

horse_luver4e 12-20-2007 08:17 AM

I know i totally agree, no slaughter of any horse is humane and I hate it when they have to waste such a preciuos animal like the horse.

The only problem is there might be too much horses. Like an over population but i hate to see them sent to the slaughter house. :cry:

I eat meat but if i was stranded and dying and the only thing to eat was a horse, i would rather die.

Vidaloco 12-20-2007 08:28 AM

I was shocked to see a pair of horse hide gloves in a catalog. I also refuse to buy stuff made out of horsehair. Tail extensions, tack, jewelry I've seen so many things made out of it.

Sara 12-20-2007 12:36 PM

Its a tough question. Unfortunately, we have a huge overpopulation problem because there are a lot of irresponsible and/or clueless people out there breeding herds of horses that no one wants. Maybe they are breeding hundreds to find that one champion. Maybe they are just too lazy to geld their colts. Whatever the reasons, the bitter fact is that we are the ones supplying the slaughter industry.

A horse, or a dog, or a cat may not be a human child, but in my mind, its pretty **** close. If you buy or breed anything, it is your responsibility to see that creature gets the necessities, medical care, and training it needs to be a functioning domestic animal. If you cannot provide these things, its your responsibility to find someone who can.

So I guess the solution is to stop breeding so **** much. But yeah, try telling that to millions of horse people.