The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hoof help - no sole at frog apex? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hoof-help-no-sole-frog-apex-48337/)

NorthernMama 02-19-2010 09:14 PM

Hoof help - no sole at frog apex?

2 Attachment(s)
I have asked my trimmer to come out and see what she thinks is going on. I previously have been in touch with her through pictures and email. Up to now, neither she nor others I have asked have thought this was a concern, but we were monitoring it to see if it improved, stayed the same or worsened. In my opinion it has worsened in the past 3 weeks and, as I said, I have asked for someone to come out in person for advice. However, thought I'd ask here if anyone has every come across this before.

History is good -- no lameness, was some thrush (hence the heavy trim on the frog) but gone now, no tenderness, no bruising. I can poke around and it doesn't bother her but it worries me that this is so deep.

Attachment 25489

Attachment 25490

She has been trimmed since these pics were taken just to do her heels and a roll.

Ideas?

Appyt 02-20-2010 12:41 AM

The ridge around the frog is there for support. My understanding is the inner hoof needs the support there, perhaps due to the frog being trimmed back. Really not sure if that's the reason, but don't trim that ridge off. ..

NorthernMama 02-20-2010 10:27 AM

Yup, I'm definitely not trimming in that area. That pic is about 3 weeks old. I'm going to take new ones today and I'll try to post them. This is on both hinds, by the way, but not on her fronts.

riccil0ve 02-20-2010 10:49 AM

I'm not sure I see what you're seeing... it looks like a pretty average hoof to me. Mine look the same way. o_O

Mercedes 02-20-2010 11:03 AM

Wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much heel in these pictures. Let's see the new ones where that heel's been taken down.

Appyt 02-20-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercedes (Post 558461)
Wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much heel in these pictures. Let's see the new ones where that heel's been taken down.

You are right. I was so intent on the ridge around the frog I didn't even note that the heels do appear to be pretty high.

tealamutt 02-20-2010 12:22 PM

I'm not sure I see the problem you're talking about either...

NorthernMama 02-20-2010 05:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Actually her heels weren't all THAT high when that pic was taken. My trimmer thought so too until I sent her a pic from another angle. Anyway, here she is today and what I am referring to is the "hole" at the apex of her frog that is about 3/8" deep. And, no, I am not trimming there -- just using the knife as an indicator. The spots on her frog showing work are from the rasp work, not the knife.

Maybe this is just where her frog needs to grow back in and I'm over-thinking / worrying about nothing.

Attachment 25573

Attachment 25574

Attachment 25575
(wow, incredibly bac pic -- sorry.)

Notice too that she is uneven -- see her frog is more developed on the outside. Her other hind is like that too. I am trying to be more careful on keeping even heels. She has always toed out in the back, but if I am more careful, maybe I can improve it even more than already done.

Appyt 02-20-2010 06:56 PM

Wow, camera angles can sure play tricks on you. They sure did look higher than they do in the rear view. ;) Might that "hole be a blown abscess exit?

Mercedes 02-20-2010 07:12 PM

There's more to come off the heels, as well the heels are of different heights, but I think the biggest problem now is that your frog is not healthy. All the dead, crappy stuff needs to come off, the channel cleaned out, and let the whole length of the frog hit the ground to get blood flow going.

If the horse were to step in a shallow puddle of water and then walk on a dry spot the wet imprint of the hoof should be an entire wide circular band that does not have any breaks in it...that means the heel and frog should close the band, and then you should be able to see the entire frog. Only a small inner part in the shape of a 'U' (the front being the inner part of the 'U') should be 'dry'.

More development means more weight bearing is happening there. In turn that means the trim is not balanced.