Fix my truck or drive it into the ground?
I cant decide what to do and don't have enough people in the know here to ask. I have a 98 GMC K2500 6.5 diesel extended cab. 320000km. I have a spare injection pump in the shop for it (worth $1500). I love my truck and there isnt anything major wrong with it. It needs new oil cooler lines, which are $300 with a cooler, that my husband and son will install for me.
However, the body is in dire need of care. Prices so far are in the $4000 range for complete fix and paint on the cab. MDH will take off the box and replace with a flat deck for me at a cost of about $500.
So, do I invest the $ and hope to keep my truck for another 3 - 5 years, or do I drive it into the ground and buy another used one next year.
(Sorry for the lousy punctuation; for some reason my new keyboard has decided that it is french. yikes...)
hm... if it was ME, i'd drive it into the ground and get ya something different.... wife's 98 dodge is in about the same shape. it's got about 270000 KM worth on it (168k mi) and is a RUST bucket. i just do the minimum for it hoping that we'll get enough scraped up for something new for her before it takes a dump for good.
Is her truck a diesel? If mine wasn't a diesel I wouldn't even consider fixing it.
its a gm 6.5...drive it into the ground...2nd worst engine ever produced...
Prior to being a mortgage broker, I was a General Manager for auto dealerships for ~20 years so I'm going against the grain.
I would trade it off now not latter. Right now it has some trade in value (I would fix the cooler lines first) and due to the economy, vehicles are are not selling as well as they have in the past. This time of the year is also the best as well since sales normally decline in the middle of winter making a dealer a little more anxious to make a sale.
If you are in the position to buy, now is a good time.
Thanks, all... I guess I just love my truck and don't want to really give it up, despite that it may be wiser for me to do so... I just can't decide. The only thing I don't like is that there is so much electronic crap in the engine.
I certainly am not in a position to buy new. I think I'll keep my eyes open for something newer of like stature and if one doesn't come along soon, I'll go ahead with body work on a cash or trade basis. If I wait much longer for the body work, it definitely won't make sense to do. I figure I've got a couple of months to decide.
how much are truck cabs selling for at a salvage yard.
here used truck beds are going for $4 to 5 hundred
320thousand miles even if the engine is still running good
the other major componets, (tranny, rearend, suspension, steering componets)
are well worn might be cheaper in the long run to just buy a new used truck
You know... I really am not into buying a newer truck... you guys got me side-tracked. The question was: fix it or drive it into the ground. I'm not buying now. Anything I would want is too much money (people who have their diesels here tend to keep them) and my engine and drivetrain have another 100,000 KM left on it, IMO. I"m having the dreaded 6.5 fuel problem right now, but I have a spare pump c/w driver and hubby dear is supposed to have a go at it this weekend. If we can fix the fuel, I'm going to do the body.
RegalCharm -- truck bodies at salvage yards? Ya, right? Where did you hear that joke? Not in my neck of the woods. LOL. And I wouldn't put another box on it, unless it was free, install included! I prefer a flat bed.
but I did look at some ads from around here
and found newer 3/4 ton crew cabs, diesels with alot less mileage
than yours for under $10,000. Also found some 1 tons in the search
and by your figures you are going to have close to $5,000 in fixing yours.
I have found that when a vehicle starts to nickel, dime you for repairs
is is cheaper in the long run to find them a new home.
So your sells yours privately for a few thousand, add that to the
money you are going to stick in it for repairs. That is a nice chuck
of change to apply to another truck.
If I do a search here for 3/4 ton diesels, all I get are "wanted" ads... no one has any to sell except for a 1985 with a plow for $5K. A search for diesels in general isn't much more help -- I did find one: a 92 Chevy 3/4 ton for $7500. Ya... see why fixing mine might be a good idea? Especially since I'd rather keep the devil I know, then trade it for the devil I don't know. That does it; if my husband's fix on the weekend worked, I'm getting the work done for sure.
Thanks -- you made me look!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0