The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Help! Western rider going English for a day (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/help-western-rider-going-english-day-48352/)

equiniphile 02-19-2010 11:28 PM

Help! Western rider going English for a day

Okay, so I've ridden Western my whole life. I've only ridden English on saddlebreds in 2nd grade at a Saddleseat Riding Camp. And...my mom's kind of dating a professional polo player. He invited us to come riding (my mom, me, and my never-before-layed-her-hand-on-a-horse nine year old sister) next Saturday and, while my sister has NO clue how to ride or any aspirations to get on a horse, my mom's bf said his polo Thoroughbreds are bombproof so she can (with any luck) handle just walking....no trotting or cantering for her lol. And we're going to be riding ENGLISH. And I ride WESTERN. And have my whole life.

I mean, in 2nd grade I was able to handle and ride our high-strung TB with my mom walking beside me, and that mare rode English, but I had no idea what I was doing. My mom rode that TB mare English a lot, so she knows a loootttttt more about English riding than I do.

So, any tips for riding English on his TB's? Oh--The only type of horses I've ridden in like the last like 6 years are my gaited horses. Paso Finos, Missouri Fox Trotters, etc. So they don't trot...They fox trot and do Corto's and Fino's and "fox walks" and such. But I haven't been on a trotting horse in a looonnnngg time....since the riding camp probably. Would it be easier for me to sit the trot like in Western when I go ride English? Or attempt to post, which I really haven't done in a while?

And i can't really 'practice' English riding because a.) I don't have English horses anymore and b.) I only own Western bridles, although I could put a pair of English reins on the Western bridle to help with learning English hand positioning and c.) the only rideable horse in my barn now rides Western. I suppose I could put my mom's old English saddle up on him and try him around the pastures....but I don't want my mom's bf to think I'm a total novice to the horse world. I've been in it my entire life, and he offered to let me excercise his TB's sometime over email! Their excercise is pretty demanding....20-minute interval canters.

Anwyay....any pointers so I don't look like a complete idiot when the four of us go riding? In Western terminology lol. And how holding the reins is different? Thanks so much!

wannahorse22 02-19-2010 11:32 PM

Keep your fingers closed, shoulders back, sit tall,heels way down,chin up,ummm...dont do a death choke w/ pulling on the reins....keep legs tight against the horses side,grip with thighs...i cant think of anymore!

equiniphile 02-19-2010 11:45 PM

Thanks WH! Umm what about posting? Would it to be easier to sit the trot or post? We sit it in Western.....

wannahorse22 02-19-2010 11:48 PM

I ride english,so i am used to posting. Sitting tends to give me cramps:/ I would say whatever you feel most comftorable at. Give posting a try though! It depends on how smooth the horses trot is for how easy it is to post (sorry worded that wierdly)

equiniphile 02-19-2010 11:50 PM

Okay. I'm going to try the English saddle on Arthur tomorrow. My mom says he's way used to it....apparently she rode him in it before I was born lol. He doesn't trot, but I'll at least get the feel for it

wannahorse22 02-19-2010 11:51 PM

Good Luck!

equiniphile 02-19-2010 11:55 PM

Thanks! I'll post tomorrow about the ride

englishrider 02-20-2010 01:36 AM

good! I wanna know what'll happen

Maire995 02-20-2010 05:47 AM

English riding rocks:L lol:lol::D

equiniphile 02-20-2010 01:36 PM

Okay, I can't go today cuz like I'm at my dad's house and my mom (I keep the horses at her house--she has primary custody of me) is really mad at me because, long story short, my stepmom and dad wouldn't let me go over to my mom's to help her move furniture to set up for a party she's having today. So I'm going to try to get an English ride in on Monday :D